The Internet of Insecure Things

Information and support for EnvisaLink modules.

Moderators: EyezOnRich, GrandWizard

lonewolf

Re: The Internet of Insecure Things

Post by lonewolf »

Crikey wrote:When I bought our home, the very first thing I did was contact a local, reputable locksmith and have all the locks re-keyed. If I had not done that, and somebody'd subsequently burgled the home, would that have been the seller's fault, for failing to re-key all the locks for me?
What, no blame on the burglers?
Crikey wrote:Then maybe the end-users who cluelessly do such things should be made to pay?
I'd be down for that, if it were possible. While we're at it why don't we implement world peace?
Crikey wrote:
lonewolf wrote: All it takes is a sticker on the side of the device listing the default username and (unique to that device) password. WiFi routers have been doing it for years.
Really? LIke I wrote: Have been doing IT for about a quarter century. Install new network-enabled devices all the time. I've never seen this, yet.
You really haven't done many end-user installs then. at&t has been doing it for years:

And back when I had FiOS (~8 years ago) the VZ-provided gateway made me set a non-weak password before the service could be activated.