Reboot 2DS?

Information and support for EnvisaLink modules.

Moderators: EyezOnRich, GrandWizard

sschmalz

Reboot 2DS?

Post by sschmalz »

I'm new to this forum. I purchased and installed a 2DS in my PC5010 panel a few months ago and it's been working great up until now. I needed to reboot my network router for the first time since I installed the 2DS and now it seem as though it cannot obtain a new IP address after the reboot (i.e. the KEYB LED is flashing). I assumed that the 2DS would figure it out on its own and eventually request a new IP address via DHCP after being out of communication for too long, but it's been a day and the LED is still flashing. Do I need to "reboot" the 2DS? If so, what is the best way to do it? A cold start of the security system? Is there a more elegant way to do it? Perhaps a keypad sequence that I need to punch in to reset the module?

Any guidance on this would be appreciated.
GrandWizard

Re: Reboot 2DS?

Post by GrandWizard »

Yes this is strange. The Envisalinks will continually try and get an IP address via DHCP and will (should) not give up.

Could it be the router? Try rebooting that first.

I've never had to counsel this but you can power-cycle your '2DS by removing the red wire from the module momentarily and putting it back. If you are careful you do not need to power-down the whole system.

If this problem persists send your MAC and account name to support@eyez-on.com and we'll try and help you there.
sschmalz

Post by sschmalz »

I discovered the problem. It appears that the cable connection between the router and the switch to which the 2DS is connected became compromised when the router was rebooted. Strange since the connector was still fully seated and locked (i.e. clicked) in place and the link light on the switch still showed the uplink active. The link indicator on the router however was out so I unplugged and replugged the cable, and all was well again in Mudville.

Sorry for the confusion guys. Looks like the 2DS is back in business. Thanks for the help anyway.
GrandWizard

Post by GrandWizard »

I am glad you are back up.

For the benefit of others:

Be aware that your Ethernet cable uses 4 wires (two pairs) to send and receive information. These are called the Transmit and Receive pairs. As named, your router/switch/device "transmits" information on one pair, and "receives" on the other. If one of these wires, but not all, becomes disconnected for some reason, you will still see a LINK light on one side of the connection, but not on the other, depending on which pair is broken.

That is why we ask users to check the LINK LEDs on both sides to see if the cable is good, as just looking at one side doesn't mean they are actually communicating.

This is a very common occurence in home-made patch cables. Speaking from experience.
hypnosis4u2nv

Post by hypnosis4u2nv »

As more homes become network orientated, I suggest and recommend everyone with a home network buy an inexpensive RJ45 cable tester.. I have buddies calling me to borrow it so they can trouble shoot their networks.. It is worth its weight in gold, especially when you need to test long runs of cable..