Newbie Question HELP!

Information and support for EnvisaLink modules.

Moderators: EyezOnRich, GrandWizard

dellrich

Newbie Question HELP!

Post by dellrich »

Hi. I was intending to install the Envisalink on a remote keybus (I think that's what it is called) which exists not far from my router.

I have been told that (I'm parroting here -- I'm not very good at this stuff) there is only 100 ma fed to this sub panel, and that adding the Envisalink may lead to power problems with whatever else is running from it (I'm not sure what but something is).

Does this make sense?

If so, does anyone sell a version of the device set up with a separate power supply that I could just plug into the wall?

Thanks!
GrandWizard

Re: Newbie Question HELP!

Post by GrandWizard »

Hey Dellrich, could you describe your arrangement a little more? The Envisalink module has very little current draw compared with other modules so we've never heard of anyone having power issues. I suppose if you have a very large system then maybe but I know myself of a customer with 30 zones, 4 partitions, 4 keypads and an whack of zone extenders. He didn't need auxillary power.
dellrich

Post by dellrich »

Hi. Beyond my techie knowledge. The fellow with whom I spoke who does DSC installations (but not this one) said that the satellite keybus (on a different floor than the main panel) had only 100 ma available and the instructions on your site said this drew 65, which didn't seem to leave much -- I"d love to ignore this! DO you think it is probably safe?
GrandWizard

Post by GrandWizard »

Well there's nothing unsafe about any security wiring, it is all low voltage.

I'm not sure what your friend means by a satellite keybus, all keybus connections go to your main panel. Depending on your panel you can install a certain amount of modules on a keybus run (maximum 1000 feet). An 1832 panel, for example, can source 700mA without the need for a external power supply. A keypad is 125mA.
hypnosis4u2nv

Post by hypnosis4u2nv »

I would take what the installers tell you with a grain a salt at times.. They can easily try to persuade you that the envisalink won't work so that they can sell you the same type of internet monitoring but at an additional cost to your current monitoring agreement..
dellrich

Power

Post by dellrich »

Hi. The problem, I'm told, is that I have quite an elaborate DSC system and its power supply is simply maxed out. The installer needs to power this board from an alternative source but to set this up needs to know the "secondary voltage" and the "voltamp rating", which are Greek to me but needed, I gather, to get an independent power supply.

How can I find these out, please?

Thanks,
stevew

Post by stevew »

You need to add a PC5204...which is available at any DSC distributor /dealer (Tri-ed in Canada). That's a monitored power supply which also connects to the keybus and will give you the additional power you need for the 2DS and more, IF the current setup doesn't suport the additional 35ma the 2DS needs. They're not expensive. You can use alternate power supplies, but if they're not the PC5200 series, they won't be supervised/ monitored by your panel. This is assuming you're running a Power Series panel of course. I don't think the 2DS works on panels outside the Power Series anyway...
www.autoland.ca
"Never argue with ignorance; they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience..."