SMS alerts for overseas users (EnvisaLink 3)

Information and support for EnvisaLink modules.

Moderators: EyezOnRich, GrandWizard

Pachuco

SMS alerts for overseas users (EnvisaLink 3)

Post by Pachuco »

Hi there,

I've spent quite some time trying to find an answer to my questions, so my apologies if - indeed - they have been asked before. So far what I've read sounds great and I'm just about ordering my EnvisaLink 3 to be used with a DSC system. However, since I'm in Costa Rica I am wondering:
  • 1: Will SMS alerts work with our provider (we are using Kolbi)?
  • 2: It is stated that email/SMS alert service is free, so I suppose that would apply also for users overseas?
  • 3: Who is then paying for sending SMS alerts?
  • 4: Would there be any delays in receiving SMS' when located outside North America?
I'd be grateful for a clarification.

Cheers!

Addition:
I just saw that a reviewer in Amazon states that the free alert service does not allow to monitor multiple zones. I don't think that is correct, but I'd like to add a 5th question: Is it?
GrandWizard

Re: SMS alerts for overseas users (EnvisaLink 3)

Post by GrandWizard »

Hi there,
Eyezon's free alerts use your mobile phone carrier's "email-to-SMS" gateway. Almost every carrier in the world has one with the exception of Australia-New Zealand where their tarrif laws prohibit this. Just ask you mobile phone carrier if they have an email-to-SMS gateway and ask them what the format is. Usually it is something like

XXXXXXXXXX@kolbi.cr

where XXXXXX is your mobile phone number

That is why there is no cost to send SMS messages. As well, there are no inherent delays in receiving SMS messages but that is all at the whim of your carrier. They give no guarantee of service so obviously we can't guarantee when you will receive them. We can only guarantee that your alerts are sent within 2 seconds of the actual alarm.

As for your 5th question, that person doesn't know what they're talking about. Our system monitors EVERY zone on your panel. What use would the product be if it didn't? Too bad the Internet can't filter out this garbage but you can see from the Amazon reviews, 15 people give the product 5 stars and this person stands alone with 3 stars. I would say this issue lies with that person, not with the product. Oh I do see that another person gave the Envisalink 1 star because he didn't like the documentation...sigh.
Pachuco

Post by Pachuco »

GrandWizard wrote: -1-
.... Usually it is something like XXXXXXXXXX@kolbi.cr

-2-
... We can only guarantee that your alerts are sent within 2 seconds of the actual alarm.

-3-
... Too bad the Internet can't filter out this garbage...
Thanks for your response. Just a few more doubts and a suggestion:

-1-
I'm sure you're right and we'll contact our provider just to make sure it will work.

-2-
So this means that email-to-SMS is sent by the EnvisaLink 3 (E3) itself? I mean, it's independent of your server. Implicit in this is that whatever format used by the provider, we should be able to configure our E3 correspondingly?

-3-
Since I included the link to the relevant comment in Amazon, I suggest you provide the clarification there. That should help promoting the E3 and your company :)

Thanks and regards!
GrandWizard

Post by GrandWizard »

No, all event signals go through our servers and are processed there. The reporting servers then issue Envisalerts (email or SMS) depending on your settings. There is no local programming required.
Pachuco

Post by Pachuco »

@GrandWizard

Thanks for the clarification!

Regards.
Detlor

Post by Detlor »

Hi,

Did you ever get this to work? I have tried with different combinations in CR, but have never received a text message.

I found some reference to xxxxxx@sms.ice.cr but nothing has worked.

Darcy