Wireless access for 2ds

Information and support for EnvisaLink modules.

Moderators: EyezOnRich, GrandWizard

Chooch4260

Wireless access for 2ds

Post by Chooch4260 »

I recently purchased a 2ds but realized that snaking a cat5 line to my panel will be difficult . Can I not create a wireless access point vial print server or old wireless router and connect to my 2ds via rj45?
quatchi

Re: Wireless access for 2ds

Post by quatchi »

The 2DS doesn't "have" to be in the panel, it just has to be on the keybus. Is there perhaps a keypad somewhere that you can run a wire to that is closer to an ethernet port? Keybus connections can be extended, tee'ed and tapped off just fine. If you stuff it in a wall, enclose it so it won't short out on something.

Personally, if you are using the 2DS fo monitoring or something like that, I wouldn't rely on wireless networking for it. There are also powerline ethernet adapters that would work too, and a lot more reliable than wireless.
GrandWizard

Re: Wireless access for 2ds

Post by GrandWizard »

Quatchi makes a good point, it is often much easier to bring Keybus to your router/switch, than it is to bring Ethernet to your panel. The reason is that Keybus doesn't have to be "home run", that is, it can be tapped and tee'd just like telephone line.

In my house my '2DS is located where my network drops are gathered, nowhere near my security panel. I used a existing run of telephone wire to tap into the Keybus and that brings the connection over to the other side of the house.