ANNOUNCE: EVL4EZ Syslog Client

Information and support for EnvisaLink modules.

Moderators: EyezOnRich, GrandWizard

GrandWizard

ANNOUNCE: EVL4EZ Syslog Client

Post by GrandWizard »

Envisacor has released a new interim version of the Envisalink 4 firmware that includes a cool new feature. It is a Syslog notification client that enables your Envisalink to log events directly to your own Linux box or other syslog server. In addition to events like opening and closing, it logs all zone traffic.

This applies only to the Envisalink 4 and you require version 1.1.108 or higher. As this is an interim release, only new customers will get this software. If you want to force your module to upgrade to that version, contact support@eyezon.com

Attached is an application note on how to use the new Syslog Client.
Attachments
Syslog Client Application Note - Eyezon.pdf
(525.69 KiB) Downloaded 2347 times
toddaustin

Re: ANNOUNCE: EVL4EZ Syslog Client

Post by toddaustin »

Cool feature! But can I make a request to please allow more customization of the server IP address. My server is sitting on 192.168.2.xxx, but your config screen assumes it must be on 192.168.1.xxx
toddaustin

Post by toddaustin »

I've tried enabling this, but am not getting anything from EVL4 in my var/logs/messages file. I'm running a Raspberry Pi 3 with Raspian. Is there some configuration that needs to be done on the server? (I'm no expert)

I'd like to add that I went to the Network page after connecting directly to the EVL4 and made the server IP and Facility update and pressed the Change button. Instructions also say to reboot. But there is just text at the bottom of the screen (not a button) that says "Reboot Envisalink" and if you click on it, it doesn't seem to do anything (action => "192.168.1.101/3?A=2"). It looks like it's just refreshing the page. It's not rebooting that quickly is it?!
mwortham

Post by mwortham »

toddaustin wrote:I've tried enabling this, but am not getting anything from EVL4 in my var/logs/messages file. I'm running a Raspberry Pi 3 with Raspian. Is there some configuration that needs to be done on the server? (I'm no expert)
I just set this up this weekend, and yes there was something I had to do on the pi to allow other hosts to send messages to the syslog. A configuration change was necessary in /etc/rsyslog.conf. This article helped me (it mentions ubuntu, but it worked fine for me on debian):

https://vexxhost.com/resources/tutorial ... 14-04-lts/
rct

Post by rct »

The original post says this is a interim release. Will this become port of the mainstream firmware in the future?

Looks like I'm still running .102 as of July 30th.
rct

Post by rct »

Since this was labeled an interim release, I didn't ask to be updated. Is it going to be part of a regular release in the future?
GrandWizard

Post by GrandWizard »

Yes, it is in the 1.1.114 release that all new devices get.

It seems Envisacor's position on the EVL4 firmware is to not update the entire fleet at this time, rather just provide the latest firmware to new installations. We have the ability to update any EZ customer who asks for it.
rct

Post by rct »

The Application note lists "Shutdown Requests" as one of the 4 types of events that are logged. I'm probably being dense but what is this referring to? Is it Swinger Shutdowns or a shutdown/reboot of the envisalink?
Ltek

Post by Ltek »

Will this be ported to EVL3?
GrandWizard

Post by GrandWizard »

No, the EVL3 is retired. While it is will always be supported, only critical updates are being issued for the EVl3 firmware.