EnvisAlarm monitoring if Internet line cut

Information and support for EnvisaLink modules.

Moderators: EyezOnRich, GrandWizard

jond2062

Re: EnvisAlarm monitoring if Internet line cut

Post by jond2062 »

Jeff H wrote:I have a Netgear 6100D LTE Gateway, costs $3.99 a month for 500mb on FreedomPop.

My Comcast plugs in the wan port of the 6100D as long as there is internet coming in, the LTE sits idle and I use zero mb of LTE.

If the Comcast goes down it fails over to the LTE and the EVL4 stays online.
I'd love to be able to do this to avoid the need to spend $150 to $200 on a cellular communicator plus the extra $15/mo. for cell monitoring from Alarm Relay. Unfortunately, I can't find the Netgear 6100D available for sale anywhere. Any recommendations for alternative 4G gateways?
jond2062

Post by jond2062 »

I tried Freedom Pop as soon as I saw your post. Unfortunately it says out of stock when I try to order.
Jeff H

Post by Jeff H »

They go in and out of stock and when they are in stock you have to act quick.
chris

Post by chris »

K-Man wrote:A lot of customers use GSM service for the Envisalink. We get asked by the service providers because they want to budget their wireless traffic which is about 150MB/month if you want to know. Most are in remote areas where traditional Internet connections are not available.

No burglar is going to take the time cut your Internet connection before they break-in BTW. In the 20 years I've been in the business I've never heard of a residence (not commerical site) with a signed, buglary alarm system, have their phone-line cut before a break-in.

Why? In urban areas residential theives are either Pros or Punks.

Pros don't give a dang about monitoring as they know it will be between 10 and 60 minutes before any cop is going to show up to an empty home. Remember, loss of property is the lowest priority on their list. Pros are usally looking for your car keys or just go straight to the bedroom for the jewerlry; in and out in a minute.

Punks are just that, looking for a crime of opportunity and will wet themselves as soon as your big siren (you do have a big siren right?) goes off.

Don't get me wrong, the advantages of GSM over using your own Internet connection are evident, but mainly to protect against power outages or service provider outages, not line cut. We still sometimes call our network supervision feature "line-cut", but really it is more to notify you that your Internet connection is down for some reason, potential line cut included.

Big siren, signs and my Envisalink. That's all I use and I work for the company.

K
you said all alarm systems use 150mb/month of data traffic ???
GrandWizard

Post by GrandWizard »

chris wrote:
you said all alarm systems use 150mb/month of data traffic ???
Kieran meant 15MB and that is only the upload traffic. There is another ~4MB/month of download traffic that needs to be included as you are billed on aggragate.
K-Man

Post by K-Man »

No, I meant 150Mbit/month. Forgot to divide by 8.

K
Crikey

Post by Crikey »

jond2062 wrote:Unfortunately, I can't find the Netgear 6100D available for sale anywhere. Any recommendations for alternative 4G gateways?
I know I'm a bit late to the game, here, but: NETGEAR 4G LTE Modem – Instant Broadband Connection (LB1120)

The NetGear LTE modem works great. Unfortunately I've yet to get my Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite to do WAN fail-over. I was having a problem getting the DHCP client to work. Got that solved, only to find Ubiquiti broke fail-over with the latest firmware release :(
Crikey

Post by Crikey »

Update

I'd finally gotten fail-over to work on my Ubiquiti ER-Lite router about three weeks ago or so. In the wee hours of this morning my Comcast circuit apparently went down for about two hours. (I've got the router emailing me fail-over and fail-back notifications.) Router switched to the fail-over T-Mobile LTE network. Apparently the EnvisaLink automatically re-established its connection with the mothership, because I never got any "loss of network supervision" notifications. Likewise when the Comcast circuit came back up, two hours later.

Life is good :)
Crikey

Post by Crikey »

K-Man wrote: No burglar is going to take the time cut your Internet connection before they break-in BTW. In the 20 years I've been in the business I've never heard of a residence (not commerical site) with a signed, buglary alarm system, have their phone-line cut before a break-in.
I don't mean to contradict you, but...

If appears that now it may be becoming more common. I don't know why. Perhaps the rise in Internet-connected video surveillance? Mainly in the dominant media, which I'd be inclined to write it off as typical alarmism, but I've also seen mention in network security-related venues.
K-Man wrote: Pros don't give a dang about monitoring as they know it will be between 10 and 60 minutes before any cop is going to show up to an empty home. Remember, loss of property is the lowest priority on their list.
This is perhaps the best reason it may not be worth the extra cost and trouble. YMMV.
K-Man wrote: Don't get me wrong, the advantages of GSM over using your own Internet connection are evident, but mainly to protect against power outages or service provider outages, not line cut.
Service provider outages, though ours have thankfully been very, very rare, is the main reason I went to the trouble of adding LTE fail-over for our entire Internet connection. And, even then: I didn't really put a priority on it until we moved our landline over to VoIP and I started thinking about cameras.

And, well..., because I could :). I'm a computer/network geek and it was an amusing networking challenge to play with.