EVL3 - Router Settings

Information and support for EnvisaLink modules.

Moderators: EyezOnRich, GrandWizard

Anarchy2007

EVL3 - Router Settings

Post by Anarchy2007 »

Hi, I have recently changed my router to a TP-Link MR200. Since then I cannot receive notifications or alerts on my phone app or in the online portal.

In the App and Online Portal I can Arm, Disarm and see the current status of the panel (although it takes 2-5 minutes to correctly show the status). The last "EVENTS" are dated 2017-10-17 19:05:51, this was when I replaced the router. I have tried the following:

Change EVL3 IP back to DHCP
With static IP enabled - Opened Ports 4021 - 4022 (Apparently these are the ports used by EVL3)
Enable DMZ in router for EVL-3's IP address (This should allow anything to and from the specified IP)
I've read somewhere that the router might see the EVL-3 encrypted data as VPN traffic. IPSEC and VPN pass through is enabled.

I can assign an IPSEC setting called "Dead Peer Connection" but will need the remote address for this. Not sure if this will help though.
The MR200 does not have a high, medium or low "Firewall".

Is there something I am missing here?
GrandWizard

Re: EVL3 - Router Settings

Post by GrandWizard »

Please submit a technical support request.

NEVER open up any ports to your Envisalink and do not put it in the DMZ.

There is no need to do any port forwarding for the Envisalink to function normally.
Anarchy2007

Post by Anarchy2007 »

Will do, Thanks
Anarchy2007

Post by Anarchy2007 »

Since I didn't really get much joy from "Customer Support" I'm here to bump the post. Hopefully someone who's had the same issue with a new router can lend a helping hand.
GrandWizard

Post by GrandWizard »

What is your ticket number? We pride ourselves on our technical support.
Anarchy2007

Post by Anarchy2007 »

Thank you for your willingness to help

Ticket ID 22143

I was told that device is currently off-line but was working fine until it wen't off-line and that the person will check again when it come online. This is not the case, There was a network supervisor event on 17 Oct and on 19 Oct and nothing else. I also do not receive emails or notifications on my phone or my wife's. The funny thing however is that the current status can be viewed. Arming or commands like pgm sometimes work and other times not. If a command does work it can take up to 2 minutes before the action is performed.
GrandWizard

Post by GrandWizard »

Hello, I checked your ticket and I think there seems to be some confusion. The last message from tech-support states that your module is currently offline and they will look at it when you bring it back online. So it looks like they were waiting for you to tell them you got it back online. Without telemetry from the module, there is nothing my team can do.

Anyhow, I personally looked at your problem and looking some archival entries in our KB I found your issue. TP-LINK has a long-standing problem relating to an old version of Linux they use in their routers. This affects about 5 different models. The exact issue is that small UDP datagrams, like the encrytped Envisalink Event Packets, get their checksums corrupted by the router and dropped by subsequent network equipment. The Envisalerts firewall and load balancing servers drop all improperly formatted packets just like any other public service would.

It looks like we had a few customers with this issue back in 2015 and they went as far as getting TP-Link to investigate. They found that there was a bug in that release of firmware but due to the age of the devices they were not going to do anything about it.

So it seems that your answer is to return the router and buy something else. I know that might sound like passing the buck but it is the truth.
Anarchy2007

Post by Anarchy2007 »

I sent the support guy 4 emails since his initial reply on the 19th with no response from him. Anyhow my Router is the MR200 which was released in 2016. I installed the latest FW upgrade released September 2016. Would restricted APN from the ISP cause the same issue?
GrandWizard

Post by GrandWizard »

Hi, the last email to tech support that we received was on Octover 19, early in our morning and the technician responded 8 hours later when our offices opened. That was the last communication we received.

With regards to your problem, it looks like they still have issues as I came across this bug report relating to Tp-LINK routers from 2016.

https://lists.openwrt.org/pipermail/ope ... 42001.html

The "illegal checksum" issue is the same problem your router is having.
Anarchy2007

Post by Anarchy2007 »

Hi Again,

I don't know, I believe I may be having a different issue. Originally I had a Huawei router with "8ta" as my ISP. Envizalink worked well for many years. I replaced the Huawei with a TP-Link Archer MR200 and have a new ISP "Cell-C". See below examples.

Tp-Link and CellC sim card - Envisalink is connected, but doesn't send notifications.
Huawei and CellC sim card - Envisalink is "Offline" (exact settings as I have used it for the past 4 years) Even with the firewall disabled.

Unfortunately I can no longer test the original "8ta" sim card as it has been disconnected. Further more GSM ISPs in SA restrict APN, I have requested they lift the restriction, just in case.

TP-Link.PNG
TP-Link.PNG (23.1 KiB) Viewed 10374 times
Huawei.PNG
Huawei.PNG (22.54 KiB) Viewed 10374 times
Eyezon.PNG
Eyezon.PNG (6.78 KiB) Viewed 10374 times