DSC EnvisaLink3 Warm Start

Information and support for EnvisaLink modules.

Moderators: EyezOnRich, GrandWizard

zoepup

DSC EnvisaLink3 Warm Start

Post by zoepup »

Hello everyone. New to the board and a search did not show up what I needed.
I have a DSC1864 with RFK5564 LCD Keypad and EL3 module with GSM wireless.

Twice in the past 3 weeks I received "Security Event: Warm Start" messages in the middle of the night. The first time I received about 25-30 within a 20 minute period around 1:50am. The second was last night. I received 10 around 1am. The first time they stopped after I disarmed system. I was not home for the second blast and they were done by the time I got home.

I have contacted vendorI bought from as well as alarmrelay.net. So far they have not been much help. Any assistance is appreciated.

Z
GrandWizard

Re: DSC EnvisaLink3 Warm Start

Post by GrandWizard »

Wow, that means your security panel rebooted. I have never seen that before, not in the lab, not in my home.

What model of panel do you have?

You may want to check the voltage into your panel.
pos42

Post by pos42 »

zoepup wrote:Hello everyone. New to the board and a search did not show up what I needed.
I have a DSC1864 with RFK5564 LCD Keypad and EL3 module with GSM wireless.

Twice in the past 3 weeks I received "Security Event: Warm Start" messages in the middle of the night. The first time I received about 25-30 within a 20 minute period around 1:50am. The second was last night. I received 10 around 1am. The first time they stopped after I disarmed system. I was not home for the second blast and they were done by the time I got home.

I have contacted vendorI bought from as well as alarmrelay.net. So far they have not been much help. Any assistance is appreciated.

Z

What was the probem? I have the same and try to find out why.

Tnx
Peo
K-Man

Post by K-Man »

Not to get too technical but a warm-start means that the DSC panel rebooted due to a watch-dog reset. The watch-dog is a separate module in an embedded device, like a security panel, that watches the operation of the main microprocessor. If it stops behaving normally, or completely locks-up, the watch-dog will reset the microprocessor and on boot-up, log a "warm start".

DSC's panels are very robust and you seldom see them do this but I have seen it on some occasions. An example would be a reset due to the serial communications with the TL260GS over the TLINK (PC-LINK) cable. I don't know exactly what is going on but I assume it is related to the communications with the central station and the panel. It is possibly due to a GSM network-timeout or a command from the station that isn't handled correctly.

If you are seeing this message in your event log I would bet good money that you have a TL260 or a TL265 installed on your system.
pos42

Post by pos42 »

Many thanks for the info...

The TL260GS is both ethernet and GSM. Maybe there are firmware updates to it that could solve issues? And according to the manuals the TL265GS is not compatible with PC1616/1832/1864. So TL260GS that I have seems to be the only choice.

My DSC mainboard is 4.5c with a 500mA limit on aux. I have had thoughs about if warm starts could be due to overload (even though I have only 440mA load). But then the panel maybe would cold reboot....

Tnx in advance

Peo
K-Man

Post by K-Man »

No problem.

No, if you have a complete loss-of-power on the panel or even a "brown-out", you will get a Cold Start event.

Warm Start means the panel rebooted without losing memory-state. This is a very important distinction for regulatory bodies.

Your alarm service provider could be trying to reprogram your panel, this might also cause a warm start. They could also be trying to reprogram your TLINK, think might also cause a problem with the panel causing it to warm-start.
pos42

Post by pos42 »

To close loose ends and maybe help others....

The RFK-5500-868 keypad caused all fishy errors (warm starts, keybus errors, DLS lead IN/OUT etc...) . I was like it had its own life even though no one did anything with it :)

Now everything is rock stable again...

When replacing keypad, I did it in favour for a PK5500 as the only wireless device (smoke sensor) will now be wired instead (plus less current draw).

/Peo
harold

Post by harold »

pos42 wrote:To close loose ends and maybe help others....

The RFK-5500-868 keypad caused all fishy errors (warm starts, keybus errors, DLS lead IN/OUT etc...) . I was like it had its own life even though no one did anything with it :)

Now everything is rock stable again...

When replacing keypad, I did it in favour for a PK5500 as the only wireless device (smoke sensor) will now be wired instead (plus less current draw).

/Peo
turns out the keypad caused all errors