Offline NTP time sync

Information and support for EnvisaLink modules.

Moderators: EyezOnRich, GrandWizard

dolenec

Re: Offline NTP time sync

Post by dolenec »

The only thing what I was asking is to add custom NTP server IP address to web GUI settings so that I do not need make custom firewall rules on router to allow NTP port 123 for specific IP address.

Why?
Because I block all incoming and outgoing internet (WAN) traffic to and from IP which is set on ENV4 card and would be great if NTP IP address would be set as my gateway (router) IP address which provide NTP to my local devices..

But in case of power failure I need to allow internet so that device gets correct date/time which is then shown on keypad.

But after so angry answers I got it that you don't take new ideas as good criticism .. so anyway.. I set router firewall rule that it works as I want and that device is still working only in intranet with colobrating with Home Assistant which was the only reason I did buy this card..
mikep

Post by mikep »

My impression was the responders were puzzled by your request rather than hostile to changes. I confess I was puzzled too. As kman said, AFAIK the envisalink doesn't use NTP. Time comes from the panel, so you not only need to lose power but the DSC panel battery will need to have have drained.

I imagine the envisalink is setting the panel time for you via cloud request when you allow it internet access. But you could easily use the TPI to set the panel time after a power loss - the DscServer app does this, I assume Home Assistant could as well. Then you could remove the firewall exception you have in place for the envisalink.
DscServer for android/linux/windows: https://sites.google.com/site/mppsuite/dscserver
dolenec

Post by dolenec »

Sorry.. maybe my questiin was a little foggy as we say..

Don't know what is this TPI?

Is there any option to set custom NTP server in DSC?
Crikey

Post by Crikey »

dolenec wrote: Is there any option to set custom NTP server in DSC?
Unless the DSC panel, itself, has IP networking capability, I would say the answer to that is "no."

If you mean an EVL4 on a DSC panel, GW answered that long ago:
GrandWizard wrote:What are you asking? The Envisalink doesn't use NTP and I think K-man explained that it isn't going to be added.
This is the K-man answer to which GW referred:
K-Man wrote:No, the EVL4 is pretty much out of code space.
Those are authoritative answers.
mikep

Post by mikep »

Right, and the DSC panel doesn't access the internet so it could not access an NTP server. It runs an on board clock and timers. The envisalink uses that clock, which is why I suspect it doesn't need/use NTP.

The TPI is the LAN/TCP based API interface to the DSC (or honeywell) panel that the envisalink provides in addition to it's web interface and cloud connection. It's the API that the DscServer and Home Assistant (and I few other apps) use to communicate with the panel.

The DscServer sets the panel time when ever it starts/connects to the envisalink, and I suspect the same is true for the eyezon cloud service. There's no need for NTP on the panel nor the envisalink. I believe the rPi or wherever you're running HA will use NTP to keep time, so it's a good source to set panel time.
DscServer for android/linux/windows: https://sites.google.com/site/mppsuite/dscserver
DorianKussel

Post by DorianKussel »

You can absolutely expect to be able to set your own NTP server IP address in the EnvisaLink4 web interface! It is a great feature that will allow you to use the device offline without worrying about security settings. Simply enter your router gateway IP address into the interface, and you'll be all set! If it is still not working, you might consider using a thailand proxy server. It might work. If you encounter difficulties, don't hesitate to seek help. I bet everyone here is more than happy to give you a helping hand! Cheers!