Sidekick Question

Information and support for EnvisaLink modules.

Moderators: EyezOnRich, GrandWizard

Jeff H

Re: Sidekick Question

Post by Jeff H »

The SideKick does not provide alternative full internet access to the EVL-4 like the ethernet port on the EVL-4 does.

GW mentions above "Monitoring over LTE is limited to alarms and O/Cs."

You won't for example be able to arm and disarm from the app or the web over the SideKick.
Moony_Lupin

Post by Moony_Lupin »

If I can jump back in on my post, I would like to suggest adding a "used data" or "data available" section to where you can see your Boost subscription and signal strength when accessing the account via the web. That would make me (and others) feel better and hopefully help prevent any fears about overage.

Also, I'm assuming that if the Sidekick has taken over the connection, an attempt to remotely arm or disarm the alarm simply wouldn't go through? In other words, no data would be transmitted causing the Boost overage?

Lots of concerns in this thread now, so I don't want everything to be negative. With this in mind I do want to say thanks to the guys and gals behind the scenes who put the Sidekick together. I'm glad to have a back up on my system!
hokie21

Post by hokie21 »

Before I purchase a Sidekick, I would like to see alarm-dude's questions fully answered and get some official assurance from EyezOn that a firmware fault or anomaly in the EVL would not leave me with an unlimited liability for cellular service costs. I trust EyezOn and have been a happy customer for many years, but it appears that that service agreement could leave me with unlimited liability for an cellular data usage issue that is not my fault.
GrandWizard

Post by GrandWizard »

I have been told that the contract that refers to overage charges was from the original trial last summer and was meant to make sure testers watched their panels for errant behaviour. The contract for the LTE backup service has no overage charges.

Please contact envisalarms@eyezon.com for any information regarding billing or monitoring contracts.
Zravis

Post by Zravis »

Is it possible to use your own LTE data sim card?
GrandWizard

Post by GrandWizard »

Zravis wrote:Is it possible to use your own LTE data sim card?
No, you have to have access to Envisacor's network which means you have to use the SIM provided.

At $4 per month, I doubt you can beat the price.