Can not access EnvisaLink, Connection Reset

Information and support for EnvisaLink modules.

Moderators: EyezOnRich, GrandWizard

joako

Can not access EnvisaLink, Connection Reset

Post by joako »

When I try to access the IP address of the envisalink module I only get an error from my browser that says the connection was reset. Also my home automation system is no longer connecting. When I login to the eyezon portal everything appears fine. I tried to power down the panel and back on again but that didn't help. Can this be fixed or is the module toast?
broth9

Re: Can not access EnvisaLink, Connection Reset

Post by broth9 »

Same issue, lost connection on February 22nd.
GrandWizard

Post by GrandWizard »

That is the built-in firewall. You may have had old firmware and it has been updated in the latest global update.

You can't access any internal resources on the module if the default password is still in place. You MUST change your local password to access the device outside of your local subnet.

All you have to do is change your password from the default and you will be back in business.
joako

Post by joako »

That worked, but I'm disappointed this change wasn't documented.
dcuste

Post by dcuste »

While away from my home, on Feb 22nd at 08:24 hours I got a supervision fault alarm. I checked that my internet was still up and running. I put in a support ticket and got a response from EnvisaLink that most likely the problem is my modem doesn't work well with a static IP address. I finally get home today check that the green light on the EVL-3 are on solid and both the red lights are flashing, but still no communications. So I reboot everything including powering down the EVL-3. Still no communication. I come to the forum here and find out that they did an upgrade on the firmware. I thought that they were never going to upgrade the EVL-3 anymore. So I guess from what I'm reading here is that I need to change my password. How can I do that when the EVL-3 will no longer communicate? Is this password the issue, or do I have some other issue? Why didn't the support people suggest this upgrade may be the issue causing me grief?
dcuste

Post by dcuste »

Update. I did finally get the EVL-3 communicating. Support is now saying that the whole reason for my problem was caused by me having it set for a static IP address. Evidently with a static IP address, the DNS server address will not update as needed and whenever Envisalink makes server changes, my EVL-3 will stop communicating just like it did on Feb 22nd. I need to keep the IP address the same for an app I run on the LAN. Support recommends that I uncheck the static IP function and use a MAC reservation instead. I do have "address reservation" capability with my router. I put in the MAC address and the reserved IP address. With the static IP function disabled in the EVL-3 and this address reservation set in the router work to keep the DNS updated and still allow my LAN app to function?
joako

Post by joako »

I have another module with the same issue, how can I change the password?

In eyezon portal there is only the option to "reset" password but nowhere to input the new password.

Is it because I don't access the EvisaLink module from the same subnet?
GrandWizard

Post by GrandWizard »

joako wrote:I have another module with the same issue, how can I change the password?

In eyezon portal there is only the option to "reset" password but nowhere to input the new password.

Is it because I don't access the EvisaLink module from the same subnet?
Yes, you need to login from the same subnet first, then change the password, and then you can access it from outside of the subnet.
craigcabrey

Post by craigcabrey »

GrandWizard wrote:That is the built-in firewall. You may have had old firmware and it has been updated in the latest global update.

You can't access any internal resources on the module if the default password is still in place. You MUST change your local password to access the device outside of your local subnet.

All you have to do is change your password from the default and you will be back in business.
Apologies for bumping this old thread, but I only stumbled across it last night.

I wanted to express my disappointment with this kind of change. A couple of months ago, I thought I had fried my envisalink4 module due to this silent firmware upgrade & functionality change. I ended up buying a second module as a result.

So now I actually have two perfectly functioning modules because I thought I had fried one of them. Please document these types of changes and ask for consent before installing such updates. Nowhere (that I found) in the included documentation did it mention anything about the subnet & default password requirement.
GrandWizard

Post by GrandWizard »

Did you see the date on this thread? That firmware change was made in 2017.

There was no "silent" firmware updates as its been like that for 4 years.

Also, there are no longer any automatic updates and the last one was in 2018. You must update the firmware yourself from the portal.