Only Alarm Text Delayed

Information and support for EnvisaLink modules.

Moderators: EyezOnRich, GrandWizard

cmarsha

Only Alarm Text Delayed

Post by cmarsha »

As an old, retired IT guy I'm always up for a chance to learn something new, so when a friend of mine asked me if I could bring his DSC 1832 alarm system back to life, I foolishly said, "Sounds like fun." The system did not have any of the DSC "normal" installer codes so I had to factory default it and start over. After several "2-steps-forward-and-1-step-back" I got all of the wired sensors working properly and the wireless sensors enrolled. My friend purchased a EVL-4 card, that I installed-- and it worked from the get-go. AMAZING! He has the EyezOn app on his phone and notification are coming in just as they should.

Here's the last problem I've got: I set up him up with both an email contact and a text contact. Both work but with a single exception -- Alarm conditions ONLY are delayed for text messages. ONLY alarm conditions. All other notifications come in immediately. So.....system is armed. Message arrives almost immediately via both text and email. Entry door is violated after the alarm sets and the alarm goes off. About 30 seconds later (delay built in) the email message arrives that an Alarm has occurred. The EyezOn App notifies that an alarm has occurred. Nothing from text until about an hour later. To repeat -- any other condition comes through immediately on the text side.

I explained to my buddy that he still has it pretty good: Quick notice via both the EyezOn app and email, a working alarm, and an idiot friend who works for Scotch. I'm more interested in trying to understand why only an alarm condition would be delayed. Have I screwed up one of the default settings on the DSC card? If there is a wise mind out there with the answer, I would like to sit at your feet and learn.
guinness

Re: Only Alarm Text Delayed

Post by guinness »

Welcome, hopefully someone can answer your question. What wireless carrier are you using? I know some providers throttle messages through their email to SMS gateway. If both the phone app and email alarm notifications are working, I doubt this is an issue with DSC programming.

I know it's too late to help to you, but for others reading this post it's possible to brute-force the installer code. See EVL 4, DSC and lost installer code - hacking my own system for more details.
GrandWizard

Post by GrandWizard »

Submit a tech support request from your Eyezon portal and we can look at your configuration. If you have Verizon please be aware they are currently throttling all SMS traffic through their email-to-SMS gateway.
cmarsha

Post by cmarsha »

The actual customer is currently on vacation. I'll have him submit a request to support when he returns in about 10 days. I agree that this does not appear to be a EyezOn problem -- considering that everything else works as advertised. For both the customer and me, the carrier is AT&T (e.g. txt.att.net). For now the customer is happy with email messages and the EyezOn app. All is good.

I will take a look at the brute-force topic. Everything over on DSC-related websites pretty much takes the "you're SOL" if you don't have the unique installer code, so are forced to jumper from Z1 to PMG1, that I can testify puts you back at factory settings. On the other hand, if I had known of a work-around imagine all the fun I would have missed. I'm just about ready to apply for a low-voltage job. ;->