Push Notification on Samsung phone Android version 10

Information and support for EnvisaLink modules.

Moderators: EyezOnRich, GrandWizard

hrdknox

Push Notification on Samsung phone Android version 10

Post by hrdknox »

My wife and I upgraded our phones to Samsung Galaxy S10 Android version 10 ( previously we had Galaxy J7 Prime Android version 6). I have the EyezOn portal set to send our phones a SMS text and Push Notification when the system Alarms, Arms, and Disarms. Often the Push Notification for these events won't come until the phone is unlocked. I have tried changing multiple phone settings to no avail, including Wi-fi, Battery Saving Mode, Do Not Disturb, and Lock Screen. This never happened with our previous phones so I am guessing that it has something to do with compatibility of the EyezOn app and the Galaxy S10 phone, or with Android version 10.
Please let me know if you have any suggestions, or have experienced the same. I have reported this to the EyezOn Support Team.
HoneyLink

Re: Push Notification on Samsung phone Android version 10

Post by HoneyLink »

That's probably the result of power saving features that were added in Android version 8. It sounds like their notifications are dependent on the EyesOn app running in memory at all times. Communications are between their server and the app but the app isn't running because the OS killed it.

They should use Firebase Cloud Messaging. They send the notification to Google, then the notification is sent to your phone OS which wakes the app up. It's not real time due to power saving features. Messages to your phone are effectively sent in batches.

I read that some phones have a way to exclude an app from being killed. The feature was described as being model specific. It's an OS option enabled by the manufacturer. Try the "Samsung S9, S10" section on this page:
https://support.onfleet.com/hc/en-us/ar ... strictions
K-Man

Post by K-Man »

No, the Envisalink app's motifcaiton service does not connect directly to our servers and it doesn't require the app to be active to receive notifications.

It uses Firebase like every other Android app.
brewsbro

Post by brewsbro »

Same delayed notification issue. On my old samsung note 10 I tried all the stuff people recommended online. turned off battery optimizations and all that stuff, nothing worked. Once phone went into doze, delays. Now I have the pixel 6 pro and still only get almost all notifications from the app once I wake the phone. Once I turn phone screen off, I will get an notification if its within like a minute. Once phone goes into doze, forget about it. I have the app set to battery unrestricted, but that doesn't help.
Charlabried

Post by Charlabried »

Most likely, the problem is with the phone. Android smartphones often react differently to different applications, sometimes for no reason. For example, notifications from Instagram practically did not work on my old Xiaomi. As soon as I switched to Pixel, everything started working properly. But over time, I began to be dissatisfied with Google's privacy policy, so I purchased a degoogled phone from degoogledirect.com. I don't encourage you to buy a new phone, but it's worth thinking about.