lte support distance to antena

Information and support for EnvisaLink modules.

Moderators: EyezOnRich, GrandWizard

bigtruck

lte support distance to antena

Post by bigtruck »

I have Dsc 5010 with envisalink 4. Works great. I want to add LTE. I live beside a mountain and get bad cellular reception. The DSC in in the basement. I guess is if I add LTE the antenna would have to be in attic (3 floors up) to have a chance of working because of weak signal.

In the duo description there seems to be a mention of greater distance (between dsc and duo device) than with sidekick. Anyways question is which device will allow me to have the antenna in the attic ... duo ? sidekick ? same ? none ?
GrandWizard

Re: lte support distance to antena

Post by GrandWizard »

The Sidekick is limited to 30cm from the Envisalink due to the power requirements for LTE. So if the Envisalink is in your cabinet, as it should, then you have to mount the Sidekick beside the cabinet. That being said, you can always remote the ANTENNA on the sidekick by buying an SMA (M-F) cable and mount the antenna in your attic. As well, there are many outdoor LTE antenna mounts for even better reception in remote areas.

The DUO is the combo of the Sidekick and the EVL4 in one enclosure so you can mount it anywhere within the 300m (DSC) and 100m (Honeywell) limit from the panel.

But all this being said, we use a special LTE service call CAT-M1 which is designed to operate at much lower signal levels that what you would need on your phone. It may be just fine in your basement.

I would go with the Sidekick and if you don't get good signal, buy a $10 cable and remote it. Lots of them on Amazon.
bigtruck

Post by bigtruck »

Thanks. So (in the case of a duo) what type of cable would go between my main board/cabinet and a remote duo ? (And I guess the Ethernet internet feed would at the duo at the remote location in that case right ?)
bigtruck

Post by bigtruck »

answered my own question by looking at my existing envisalink 4 ... it will use typical 4 wire alarm cable. Also found the install duo manual confirming the same. I will go with DUO (even though I already have envisalink) as this seems more flexible for my case.

One more question.. You guys seems to be based in canada, cater to canadian and us customers for monitoring ... yet there is only one set of prices on the website with no obvious mention of CAD or USD ... shouldn't this be clear ? Otherwise a canadian customer like me my make decisions based on prices that seem to be in CAD only to realize at purchase time that these as USD prices. Or is it CAD ?and us customers will have happy surprise.
GrandWizard

Post by GrandWizard »

Prices are the same in both CAD and USD unless specified otherwise. Your credit-card must be in the same denomination as the currency you are attempting to purchase with. Canadian customers must have a valid Canadian shipping address to use CAD.