Automatic Network Time Updates Now Available

Information and support for EnvisaLink modules.

Moderators: EyezOnRich, GrandWizard

GrandWizard

Re: Automatic Network Time Updates Now Available

Post by GrandWizard »

Do you mean "loss of time"? as in the trouble? Or the time is wrong?

Loss of time can only come from loss of power.

The Envisalink will only attempt to change the time if it is told to, by the alerting servers. If it isn't connected to the Internet, no such command would ever be received.
pakerfeldt

Post by pakerfeldt »

GrandWizard wrote:Do you mean "loss of time"? as in the trouble? Or the time is wrong?

Loss of time can only come from loss of power.

The Envisalink will only attempt to change the time if it is told to, by the alerting servers. If it isn't connected to the Internet, no such command would ever be received.
Not sure the difference but what happens is that the DSC panel gives a sound (like three quick beeps in a row I think) and the yellow warning led is lit. The panel then shows wrong time and or date. Usually time is 00:00 and date is the current date. I will have to do *6 [Master code], 1 and set time/date to remove the warning. But then at a later point in time (seems random to me, from a couple of hours to a couple of days) the DSC gives the warning again.

I will unplug the EnvisaLink completely and see if that solves the problem.

edit/ This appeared after installing the EnvisaLink. Having said that, it could very well be something wrong I did when I removed the battery and shut down the alarm while installing EnvisaLink.
GrandWizard

Post by GrandWizard »

That is "loss of time" and it generates a trouble. This will happen if the panel loses power. Do you also have a battery trouble on your system? *2
pakerfeldt

Post by pakerfeldt »

GrandWizard wrote:That is "loss of time" and it generates a trouble. This will happen if the panel loses power. Do you also have a battery trouble on your system? *2
I will check for battery trouble next time.
Steve Jenkins

Post by Steve Jenkins »

What if you have two different systems on the same account, but the houses are in different time zones? Each system should be allowed to have its own time zone, rather than use the time zone from account.

Thanks!
jreedar

Post by jreedar »

GrandWizard wrote:You asked for it, and now its here - Network time updates to synchronise your DSC panel with Universal Coordinated Time. No more manually adjusting for daylight savings time, no more "Date/Time Lost" troubles.

How it works:

Every morning around 3 AM your Envisalink will compare its time with network time and adjust your panel's time accordingly. The time zone used is the time zone registered in your Eyez-On account.

[edit]
As well, if the Envisalink detects that the time is not set in the panel (e.g. after a cold start), it will also set the time for you. Usually within 1 minute of power-up.

How do you get it:

Log on to the portal and check the details page for your Envisalink. Near the top of the page you will see a check-box to "Subscribe to Auto Time Updates". Click that if you would like your Envisalink to control your panel time. Don't forget to make sure your time zone is correct!

I do have my "Subscribe to Auto Update" option checked and it worked correctly and very quickly a few months ago when I had to change the backup battery, but wanted to ask about this feature doing adjustments for daylight savings time?

I'm in the Central time zone but this morning my keypads still have the pre daylight savings time value, meaning they did not fall back one hour. So the times on the keypads are one hour ahead.

I checked the Account Settings page and it has "Time Zone: CST -06:00 Central Standard Time" which is correct but my keypads show CST -5:00 currently.

Also when logged into my account and on the System section it correctly shows my correct local time on the "Last Updated:" line.

Is it just the case where I need to wait till tomorrow at 3:00 AM and it will do a network time sync and then correct the time?

Thanks,
Neal
GrandWizard

Post by GrandWizard »

It seems that the Daylight Savings Time switchover happened after the nightly network time updates. So yes, your system will update tomorrow morning.

We'll make sure that doesn't happen in the spring.
jreedar

Post by jreedar »

GrandWizard wrote:It seems that the Daylight Savings Time switchover happened after the nightly network time updates. So yes, your system will update tomorrow morning.

We'll make sure that doesn't happen in the spring.

Thanks for the fast answer! Just wanted to verify, love not having to manually update the keypad time! Thanks for such a great product.
GrandWizard

Post by GrandWizard »

I just want to expand on my previous post, as we're getting a few calls about this.

Network time update messages go out at 3AM local time (whatever is local to you). Our server moved all accounts that were is DST back to Standard time around 6AM (EST) so a good swath of North America got their time updates before their accounts switched back.

So if your keypads are still showing daylight savings time, don't worry, they will change at 3AM tomorrow.

Sorry for this oversight, and it may seem silly, but with customers pretty much all over the world, timezones are still a big headache sometimes.
bvd80

Post by bvd80 »

Is it possible to make a "button" by the "Last updated" date and time section so we can instantly change the panel time to whatever is currently showing there instead of waiting until 3am?