Can't find EVL4 on my network. Same WAN and LAN ip!

Information and support for EnvisaLink modules.

Moderators: EyezOnRich, GrandWizard

fjleon80

Can't find EVL4 on my network. Same WAN and LAN ip!

Post by fjleon80 »

I just installed EVL4 and have all 5 LEDs on, and was even able to get the firmware updated to the latest 210. However, my surprise is that the WAN and LAN ip are the same and it's a public IP address, which is similar to my real WAN ip but not quite the same.

I can reach that IP with the browser just fine, but doesn't recognize the user/user credential. If I try to reset the password from the portal, doesn't work either.

I'm stuck here. How do I solve this? I'm using a pretty standard internet connection: ISP router has fiber cable, and a single ethernet port that has a cable goes to a switch. That switch has a cable for the EVL4, my desktop computer, and a google wifi pro.

It looks like the EVL tricked my ISP into giving it its own IP address. I could live with that, but the credentials don't work anyway. I wonder if the EVL has an internal security measure to block authentication attempts from any IP outside of the "LAN"...
fjleon80

Re: Can't find EVL4 on my network. Same WAN and LAN ip!

Post by fjleon80 »

well, one of the two mysteries solved: the password is NOT user. thanks to this post viewtopic.php?t=5393&sid=41e0c7759dc890 ... 8396c1b4bc

i tried to change all my LAN setup: instead of having dmarc cable set to the switch, i put it up directly to the google nest wifi. all devices got internet, except for the EVL, so i had to go back with the previous wiring that at least works... however the IP is public, and since it's HTTP, it's bound to get hacked...

I tried to touch the RST terminal with my screw driver and nothing happened... so i still need to fix the original issue
fjleon80

Post by fjleon80 »

Just opened a request for support: I believe my "odd" setup is tripping up the EVL4. It seems that the EVL4 somehow gets confused whenever it finds a DHCP server over the internet. My raspberry Pi and Windows laptop are smart enough to find a local IP from my home router over the LAN.

My setup:

ISP modem receives WAN from a cable down the street.
ISP modem has an ethernet cable that goes to a first switch.
First Switch has a cable that goes to the home router WAN port (which works fine for everything else)
First Switch has a cable that goes to the EVL4
Home router has a second ethernet cable (on the "switch") port, that goes to a second switch in a different room

So in this scenario, EVL4 might be finding two dhcp severs (ISP and my home router) and ignoring my home router...

I tried to change my "odd" network as follows:

ISP modem receives WAN from a cable down the street.(same)
ISP modem has an ethernet cable that goes to the Home Router WAN port(change)
Home router has ethernet cable (on the "switch") port that goes to the first switch
First Switch has a cable that goes to the EVL4
First Switch has a cable that goes to the second switch.

I recognize this is how I should have wired in the first place, but I never had an issue until today. The problem is that with this new LAN, the EVL4 doesn't turn on the NET/ONLINE LEDs. I tried to touch the RST field with a screwdriver but nothing happened... How do i reset this properly so I can try again?
fjleon80

Post by fjleon80 »

i probably did not make contact with the 2 reset pads properly. i will try again later
GrandWizard

Post by GrandWizard »

Your LAN setup isn't odd, its wrong. You can't put a switch after your modem and plug the Envisalink and router into that. Both the router and the Envisalink will attempt to get an IP from the modem which will be your WAN IP and it will probably only give you one at any one time.

You need to put your Envisalink behind your router, not in front of it.
fjleon80

Post by fjleon80 »

I have two switches and nearly 2 dozen devices and never had this issue with any of them. The reason I have wired it this way is due to an internal cable that goes through some pipes on the attic not being long enough by about 3 feet, which would force me to put my router inside the wiring cabinet (which is metallic) and hamper wifi range. Since none of my other devices have this issue, I was ok with this setup.

If the evl4 had a feature to set the gateway IP manually this wouldn't be a problem. The UI only allows me to mark the current IP as static, or change the IP to put another IP within the same subnet, which is severely limited. Please consider this for future firmware upgrades.
K-Man

Post by K-Man »

fjleon80 wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2024 11:27 am I have two switches and nearly 2 dozen devices and never had this issue with any of them.
I think you're missing a major difference in how your switches are connected. Yes you probably have had many devices connected to a switch but that switch was connected to your ROUTER, not your MODEM.

This is a big no-no
fjleon80

Post by fjleon80 »

solved it

turns out this was all due to a faulty ethernet cable i added yesterday which was preventing proper communication between the envisalink and the router, so when it made the DHCREQUEST packet it got a reply from the only device that had connectivity that could make a DHCPOFFER back: the modem.

i did move the cable between modem and switch and put it between modem and router instead, which is just to make it more "logical", but this was not the issue at all, since the router's internal switch and the other switch are dumb L2 switches, so eventually it's the same thing, they just flood everything off all ports except the original port, which is what a switch does.
K-Man

Post by K-Man »

None of what you are saying is true. Your two switches ARE NOT on the same network as they are seperated by the NAT router. No DHCP traffic will go through the router nor will any local traffic. The only traffic that will go from your router's LAN switch to the one you installed on your modem, is NAT'ed traffic destined for the public Internet.

The reason your Envisalink got an IP from the modem is because you put the Envisalink on the modem side of the router. That is all. There is no magic quantum tunneling through the NAT router, nor any bad cable that can selectively filter packets.