TPI and Zone Followers

Information and support for EnvisaLink modules.

Moderators: EyezOnRich, GrandWizard

turnerj42

TPI and Zone Followers

Post by turnerj42 »

I like some of the others really need the zone followers feature. Was one of the biggest reasons I got the device. One solution for me would be if I could set the follower part up locally. I was wondering how difficult it would be to set that up through the TPI and then just use my own SMTP server for that functionality and would then take the load off of the servers. Is it possible to have a similar type console that you log into like eyez-on but it just runs on a pc on my local lan instead or just any little program. Only purpose is for the zone followers. Even for all the reports and just leave the eyes on servers for remotley connecting back in? Thoughts and how difficult that would be to create?

Thanks
GrandWizard

Re: TPI and Zone Followers

Post by GrandWizard »

I think that's a great idea. I'm sure one of our enterprising users could get something like that working in short order. There are a few examples already of PC based programs that interface with the TPI so adding the SMTP part should be easy.
turnerj42

Post by turnerj42 »

Would be great if someone could do that. Or even sample programs that I could use on PC to play with.. I haven't messed around with this stuff in a long time.
digitalarch

Post by digitalarch »

That is a great idea, and it if supports SMTP over TLS/SSL then people could point the module to use an external SMTP server like through gmail, etc... that allows relaying.
mikep

Post by mikep »

I'm a few days from releasing an android app that pairs with my DSC keypad app already available on google market to do just that.

It needs a dedicated, always on, always connected phone or tablet running android 2.1 or higher, and provides a few functions: a "fan-out" capability to allow you to hook up multiple keypad apps, an "emailer" app that will send an email alarms, zones open/closed, trouble, power loss, supervision loss, arming/disarming, etc, and an "sms-er" app that does the same as the emailer via text messages (so it works even if your internet connection is lost).

To run the sms-er you need to run it on a phone and a txt message contract with a phone company (which can be very cheap for pay-as-you-go).

Other advantages of the fan-out server - english named zones and partitions, filtered zones and partitions (so startup of the keypad is faster), and elimination of the "TPI login" messages except when the 2DS/3DS really restarts.

I'll post here when it's available if there's interest.

Mike
Last edited by mikep on Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
DscServer for android/linux/windows: https://sites.google.com/site/mppsuite/dscserver
turnerj42

Post by turnerj42 »

Hey Mike,

That does sound very cool. I unfortunatly at this point don't have anything that runs android but I am sure I could figure something out if it came down to it. I pretty much am after exactly what you described but was just hoping it was something I could run on an old PC and also I have a honeywell system as well to complicate matters but to be honest I don't really care about sending commands at this point its more just to get followers and other report type stuff without having to be under the limitations of eyez-on servers due to to much traffic.
mikep

Post by mikep »

It really worth it :). I'm starting to come across many people doing the same thing (which is why I built these apps in the first place). We use dedicated cheaper tablets to manage our home automation - I use a 7" one in the kitchen with weather, news, calendar, my security system (the widget works well for that), and my thermostat (a CT-30). I run the same apps on an android phone that I use as my alarm clock by my bed. In my home office I have another tablet with the same, and of course I always have my phone (connected to home using SSH), and to receive text messages if the alarm is triggered. Pretty handy - much better than trying to mount thermostats and DSC keypads everywhere!

Smaller tablets are inexpensive - like $80 on ebay new, though not very powerful. Used android phones are pretty good and are coming down alot too. I use an LG Optimus 1 (P500H) to run my automation server (the fan-out, SMS and emailer monitoring apps). They can be had for $40-$100 right now, and unlocked for a buck, letting you use a cheap SIM card pay-as-you-go contract for text messaging/self monitoring - perfect. Motorola hardware is pretty good too - I use an A955 for my alarm clock, $60 or so. But you usually have to stay away from the Verizon stuff - their phones can't always be unlocked, and Verizon is way to expensive to use for monitoring...

Once I get the self-monitoring parts going I'll add encryption to the fan-our server so you can dial in safely without needing an SSH server - much easier to set up. I do have a webapp that can be used on a PC running the same code on Tomcat, I'm not sure what do to with it yet. It can do fan-out and email, but of course not texting (though sometimes you can text yourself by sending an email to your provider).

Oops, sorry for rambling, I'm too excited by all the possibilities that have opened up :).

Mike
DscServer for android/linux/windows: https://sites.google.com/site/mppsuite/dscserver
turnerj42

Post by turnerj42 »

Hey Mike

I hear you on the android stuff. How hard would it be to get that tomcat version going? That would be all I would want/need/desire. I have lots of older PC hardware I could run it on and that would solve all my issues right away. Keep me posted if you don't mind on your stuff sounds great.
io_guy

Post by io_guy »

I have the code required to do this in various chunks kicking around.
Little busy right now but I can put something together by Wednesday night.

Is it just zones you want followed?
turnerj42

Post by turnerj42 »

That would be great if you could do that. Yes at this point thats all I care about is zone following.. I don't have anything to compare it to to ask for more features anyways :)

English names on the zone following would be nice to if that could be set. Then anytime a zone is open or closed an email is sent and you can choose which zones to monitor.

Also with the smtp part that it can send to a non standard port.

But really anything you can do would be appreciated. If the programming part is in place I can probably get the rest going.. Thanks again.