The mobile link for older phones is no longer working for me

Information and support for EnvisaLink modules.

Moderators: EyezOnRich, GrandWizard

postermmxvicom

The mobile link for older phones is no longer working for me

Post by postermmxvicom »

I was wondering if this is a known issue and if there is a fix. I simply get an error saying the page does not exist. I really prefer the simplicity of the "older phones" page.
Hashtag

Re: The mobile link for older phones is no longer working fo

Post by Hashtag »

I'm getting the same error. The link works much better with my 9900 BlackBerry.
pounder

Post by pounder »

eyez-on guys - just an observation here - when people are relying on a portal page as an integral part of their security system, problems like this are what drive people to insist on a local run version as well. Keep in mind if they are arming and disarming using some features of your website and it goes away one day, that can be very upsetting, especially since 2 people commented now and no feedback from anyone in an official capacity yet.

Hence the drive for a local version, that way the user has complete control of any new rollouts and able to roll them back if something they are using breaks.

Some suggestions I would make to make this easier on users - keep multiple versions of your site available under subdirectories so when you make an update you rename the current one to whatever version number it is and roll out the new code as /current/. Then if a feature breaks the user can just change the url to whatever the working revision was.
-Release a new version as /beta/ and get some feedback before just springing it on people and once the kinks are out rename that to current and get whatever is next under the /beta/ directory.
Jon Pounder
GrandWizard

Post by GrandWizard »

postermmxvicom wrote:I was wondering if this is a known issue and if there is a fix. I simply get an error saying the page does not exist. I really prefer the simplicity of the "older phones" page.
I will look into it. The old portal has been retired so its not something my group tests against.
GrandWizard

Post by GrandWizard »

Our firewall was blocking access to that script due to abnormal volumes of traffic. The old mobile portal shares code with the quick API, which was also affected, so it may have been someone's errant code that caused this. It is back up but we need to monitor it.
pounder

Post by pounder »

I'd suggest changing your firewall rules to a per ip blocking and then figure out whose ip is at fault rather than allowing one rogue piece of software to take the feature down for everyone.
Jon Pounder
Hashtag

Post by Hashtag »

Working again - thanks !