3rd Party Local API - Beta Testers/Contributers Wanted

Information and support for EnvisaLink modules.

Moderators: EyezOnRich, GrandWizard

gschrader

Re: 3rd Party Local API - Beta Testers/Contributers Wanted

Post by gschrader »

Yeah personally I wouldn't focus too much on the proxy feature, I wouldn't trust it to do any programming ala DLS. I will give this a look in the next day or two, thanks for your efforts!
donnyk

Post by donnyk »

gschrader wrote:Yeah personally I wouldn't focus too much on the proxy feature, I wouldn't trust it to do any programming ala DLS. I will give this a look in the next day or two, thanks for your efforts!
Very different opinions in this thread.

I was thinking that programming via this interface would not be super great either but I have yet to try anything of that nature so I would need to see how it works. (eg add or delete user codes).

I will be busy for the next few days but I'll work on this again soon and try and clean it up a little more. I'll aim to solidify the http/json/api aspect which is where I think there is the most demand before worrying too much about the proxy aspect of it.
pounder

Post by pounder »

I did some more work on mine last night and ran into something I never really thought of before - according to the worksheets for the 5020 panel I can put a zone in any combination of the 8 partitions I wish, ok fair enough there might be applications for that but it would be weird, but does anyone know how that affects the zone reporting from the module ?

Half of the zone status events contain a partition and the other half don't, by my thinking it should be irrelevant and I am just ignoring the partition and I will have context stored about what belongs to what partition anyway, but curious how those events come through - repeated for each partition, only the first, 0 for multiple, other ?
Jon Pounder
pounder

Post by pounder »

gschrader wrote:Yeah personally I wouldn't focus too much on the proxy feature, I wouldn't trust it to do any programming ala DLS. I will give this a look in the next day or two, thanks for your efforts!

Why wouldn't you trust programming this way ?
- DLS does essentially the same thing through a serial port
- You can do it by hand with the same sequences if you wish to stand there.
- the code can query the results back and the end to verify it got everything right.

Not sure why you would immediately discount something like that when I see it as one of the most promising features......

It will certainly get around the windows only DLS that I can't stand. Had to help a lady with wifi on windows last night and the machine was acting up, 4 bars of signal and then can't see the network - repeatedly, meanwhile my linux phone connected first try. That windows hate builds up more for me every day, and DLS is one of the few things I can't get to run on wine.
Jon Pounder
donnyk

Post by donnyk »

I'm withholding judgement until I see it working.

Besides going into master mode... what would I then need to send to add/remove/list users? Would this be the same as I would send if i were at the keypad. So I should consult the dsc manual?
pounder

Post by pounder »

donnyk wrote:Besides going into master mode... what would I then need to send to add/remove/list users? Would this be the same as I would send if i were at the keypad. So I should consult the dsc manual?
yes - but right now I am waiting on a beta firmware from envisacor that opens up some of the blocked responses in master and installer mode, you might want to request it as well.
Jon Pounder
gschrader

Post by gschrader »

pounder wrote:

Why wouldn't you trust programming this way ?
- DLS does essentially the same thing through a serial port
- You can do it by hand with the same sequences if you wish to stand there.
- the code can query the results back and the end to verify it got everything right.

Not sure why you would immediately discount something like that when I see it as one of the most promising features......

It will certainly get around the windows only DLS that I can't stand. Had to help a lady with wifi on windows last night and the machine was acting up, 4 bars of signal and then can't see the network - repeatedly, meanwhile my linux phone connected first try. That windows hate builds up more for me every day, and DLS is one of the few things I can't get to run on wine.
Sorry I should have been more clear. I wouldn't trust using the programming TPI through a proxy, I would connect to it directly.
donnyk

Post by donnyk »

gschrader wrote: Sorry I should have been more clear. I wouldn't trust using the programming TPI through a proxy, I would connect to it directly.
If something is maintaining a full time TPI connection though (eg a vera) given the one connection limit there is no other way you can really do it. What would be best would to just do the programming via the web interface rather then via a proxyied/fake TPI connection.
pounder

Post by pounder »

donnyk wrote:
gschrader wrote: Sorry I should have been more clear. I wouldn't trust using the programming TPI through a proxy, I would connect to it directly.
If something is maintaining a full time TPI connection though (eg a vera) given the one connection limit there is no other way you can really do it. What would be best would to just do the programming via the web interface rather then via a proxyied/fake TPI connection.

Yeah maybe I should have been more clear too - worse case yeah a virtual keyboard through a proxy would work, but I was just thinking another virtual client or plugin or whatever that sits at the proxy level would just be used to transfer database configuration to the panel or vice versa to see how its setup now.

ie the thing internally would have a db structure much like the programming worksheets and its either populated by pulling data from the module or pushing into it. with enough smarts to know only to push differences.
Jon Pounder
gschrader

Post by gschrader »

Just tried this, very good start. I'm able to arm/disarm and my zones update. I'm not sure the partition status is working, it always said 'armed': False for me. Is it too soon to request some new features? :) I see in the code the push notifications, I assume that isn't hooked up yet?