EnvisaLink 3 and Alarm Relay

Information and support for EnvisaLink modules.

Moderators: EyezOnRich, GrandWizard

DaveSin

EnvisaLink 3 and Alarm Relay

Post by DaveSin »

I was thinking of purchasing the EnvisaLink 3 to add to my Ademco 20P Panel and wanted to know if my Alarm Company, Alarm Relay, supported this product and having the capability to monitor our Alarm System using the EnvisaLink 3. This is their reply to us:

Code: Select all

The EVL-3 will NOT send alarm signals to us. It just allows you to remote into the system and control it. Unfortunately, it would disrupt signals from the ARIM and so they cannot be used together.

If you had AlarmNet I, which is a Honeywell product, you would be able to be monitored for an additional $5 per month and you would be able to use Total Connect, which is a service similar to the Envisalink but probably more robust.

I hope this information helps you.

Best regards,
So my questions are:

(1) Why can't alarm Relay use the EnvisaLink 3 to monitor our alarm and

(2) If I install the EnvisaLink 3 inside the Panel, will it interfere with the ARIM device (PAP2T-NA) that we are currently using to communicate (Internet Monitoring) with Alarm Relay Monitoring Center?

(3) Is anyone using the EnvisaLink 3 with Alarm Relay Monitoring and/or along side the ARIM device?

Thx
GrandWizard

Re: EnvisaLink 3 and Alarm Relay

Post by GrandWizard »

Hi, what they told you isn't entirely true.

1) The Envisalink can send standard alarm signals to their IP receivers but I guess they choose not to opt for this. I'm not entirely sure why but this has come up before. If you have a contact there you can have them call us for more information, we will go through the configration options with them.

2) The Envisalink won't interfere their VoIP adapter. The Envisalink works on an entirely different interface, we don't use the phone line. On Honeywell panels there is some panel configuration to make this work but there are no show stoppers. You just need to install the module in Dual-Communicator mode. DSC users will have absolutely no configuration.

3) I'll let our customers chime in on this one.

4) Or you could just switch to our Envisalarms service :-)
nicolasg

Post by nicolasg »

GrandWizard wrote: 1) The Envisalink can send standard alarm signals to their IP receivers but I guess they choose not to opt for this. I'm not entirely sure why but this has come up before. If you have a contact there you can have them call us for more information, we will go through the configration options with them.
Dont meant to hijack the thread but... in the above you note the Envisalink can send alarm signals to other alarm monitoring companies system via IP. How do I go about having my envisalink device send signals to a provider of my choice ?
Where do I set the account/ip/etc ?
All I have found is the local TPI interface and email/sms notices.

Thanks.
pounder

Post by pounder »

Good question, I read what he said as well and was wondering, and then got distracted and forget to ask about it.

It would make a lot more sense from my point of view to design proxies and middleware around that interface than the tpi, since it should be the same for any standardized ip reporting system, not just this one.
Jon Pounder
donnyk

Post by donnyk »

pounder wrote:Good question, I read what he said as well and was wondering, and then got distracted and forget to ask about it.

It would make a lot more sense from my point of view to design proxies and middleware around that interface than the tpi, since it should be the same for any standardized ip reporting system, not just this one.
The information that I have is that if you want to send your alarm monitoring signals to another company besides envisalink you have to get your 2DS/3 'unlocked' via Envisalink technical support. This information came from a alarm provider in my area who supports Envisalink 2DS/3. I was told the fee was $50 but I have no idea if this information is accurate.
pounder

Post by pounder »

That also begs the question of if its using a "standard" protocol, what is it ? How would I even go about asking another company if they support it if they have never heard of the module but support ip monitoring ?
Jon Pounder
strangely

Post by strangely »

pounder wrote:That also begs the question of if its using a "standard" protocol, what is it ? How would I even go about asking another company if they support it if they have never heard of the module but support ip monitoring ?
The Standard protocol they use IIRC is SIA DC-09:

https://siamembers.siaonline.org/eweb/D ... D7876C51A4
pounder

Post by pounder »

strangely wrote:
pounder wrote:That also begs the question of if its using a "standard" protocol, what is it ? How would I even go about asking another company if they support it if they have never heard of the module but support ip monitoring ?
The Standard protocol they use IIRC is SIA DC-09:

https://siamembers.siaonline.org/eweb/D ... D7876C51A4

Is that actually it ? I'd prefer someone who made the thing comments instead of speculating that just because its a standard that they actually used it, and what level of compliance they have.
Jon Pounder
strangely

Post by strangely »

No speculation, it was what they stated before it was developed!

I expect if you search, you may uncover the relevant posts. So unless they added their own secret sauce to it, this was what it was from Memory.
pounder

Post by pounder »

If anyone wants to read it search the name and around the 3rd page of hits you'll find it.

Leaves more questions than answers though.
Its obvious things like resetting the webserver password which you can do from the portal are not part of the standard so there are extensions to it.

It would be nice actually have documentation on the settings used and how to manipulate them.

Another thing that comes to mind - is the ulc monitoring supported by this standard and its only setup when you see the envisalarm settings noted as subscribed and the portal is actually another totally different protocol ?

Maybe someone can shed some light on that - during the ulc monitoring does the panel talk directly to that provider or though the eyez-on servers and then to the provider ?
Jon Pounder