Yards Signs - Security Problem?

Information and support for EnvisaLink modules.

Moderators: EyezOnRich, GrandWizard

RyanR

Re: Yards Signs - Security Problem?

Post by RyanR »

If one of your firearms is ever stolen, you need to report it as stolen ASAP. That will help protect you from liability.
billinaz

Post by billinaz »

Let me give you a real world idea of how these burglars work.

First , they pull the phone/coax boxes away from the house and cut the lines.

(my belief is that if there is a sign, it only ensures this will happen)

Then they kick in a garage service door (if there) or force into the garage roll up doors.

Then they enter or force enter into the garage door that enters your house, and usually trip the alarm. Then its to the master bedroom to search for valuables, and they usually load what they find into a car in the garage (if they find keys).

Its usually under 5 minutes, usually 2 or so.

Why alarm installers dont arm the garage roll up and service doors is beyind me. I did mine.

Another thing to do is feed an alarm wire into the phone and cabe tube so that when it is cut it instantly triggers the alarm. Hopefully the sirens will pursuade them to depart then rather than to continue to force entry into your house.

Im in the profession that deals with these guys..... so Ive seen this happen a lot.
EV3_fan

Post by EV3_fan »

Code: Select all

My basic opinion is that monitoring is not really that important, hence why I don't pay for it, and I don't have cellular monitoring. I have my security system set up to protect me and my family. I only need it for this when I'm home. When I'm home, monitoring does not matter. The only thing that matters is sensors and the bell. Both work when lines are cut and during power outages. Any monitoring is only needed when I'm away from home, in which case it's not protecting me or my family...it's just peace of mind knowing that my home is still in one piece.
Unless it burns to the ground :oops: You won't be using the phone if you are fighting a fire. The main reason I pay a little for monitoring is to try to prevent a total loss due to fire.
pounder

Post by pounder »

Not sure why people think you can't use cellular with eyez-on - check out the products by cradlepoint among others - router that uses cable/pppoe as the primary connection and either a sim directly in it or a usb based "rocketstick" for cellular data plan backup.

There are many pieces of hardware that work with openwrt that can do the same job with more control if you prefer to "roll your own".

The whole thing also serves as a backup to your own internet, allows you to look at cameras when main internet is down, etc etc, much more flexible than simply an alarm transceiver that does nothing more than send some modem data over a cell phone.\

You could define whatever pages/emails you want with scripts when the thing switches from primary to backup connections, since even if its just an internet outage you might want to know that.
Jon Pounder