Maintaining POTS monitoring while using Envisalink

Information and support for EnvisaLink modules.

Moderators: EyezOnRich, GrandWizard

sebbyg

Maintaining POTS monitoring while using Envisalink

Post by sebbyg »

I have a Honeywell Vista P20 system

Once i install the EnvisaLink 3 on my system will my panel still able to contact a central monitoring service via land line telephone or must all transmissions go over the Internet
through the EnvisaLink?

To put it another way - could I keep my current Land Line central monitoring service and still use all of the IP benefits of the EnvisaLink?

Is the system capable of reporting signals to both the EnvisaLink and the phone line?

I don't feel comfortable having my central monitoring go through the Internet as during a power out I loose Internet but maintain my landline.

Please Advise.
Thanks?
GrandWizard

Re: Maintaining POTS monitoring while using Envisalink

Post by GrandWizard »

Yes you can. The only issue on Honeywell (none of this applies to DSC), is that any events that you select to be transmitted via Envisalerts (arms, disarms, troubles etc) will also be sent to your central monitoring centre.

This may or may not be an issue, it will depend on your service provider.
DaveSin

Post by DaveSin »

Hmmmm... Wasn't aware of this. I notice with my VISTA 20P setup with two Motion Detectors in two separate rooms, I keep getting these Alerts sent to my email account:

2013-01-13 00:04:48 - LIVING RM MOTION Closed

2013-01-12 23:59:29 - LIVING RM MOTION Open

I have since disable (Unchecked) the Motion Detectors under "Manage Zone Followers", which stop these Alerts from being sent to my email address (or SMS). Every time someones walks into the room where these Motions Detectors are located it triggers a Open and Close Alaert, which, according to what you are saying, also gets sent to the Central Monitoring Stations.

What would happen if the Motion Detector(s) caused an actual alarm event when the system is in the Away Mode, would an alert to sent to my email address (or by SMS) with these Motions Alert Disable via the "Manage Zone Followers"? I noticed that the Zone Activity sections still shows the Motion Detectors being Open and Closed, but the Recent Activity secttion does shows these Open/Close events with the Zone Followers disabled.
GrandWizard wrote:Yes you can. The only issue on Honeywell (none of this applies to DSC), is that any events that you select to be transmitted via Envisalerts (arms, disarms, troubles etc) will also be sent to your central monitoring centre.

This may or may not be an issue, it will depend on your service provider.
sebbyg

Post by sebbyg »

Thanks GrandWizard

If I want to maintain my Pots monitoring how should I set the *55 - Communicator Priority.
Should I still Put the reporting priority to 1 to make sure the Envisalink gets the event first or should it be set to 0.
GrandWizard

Post by GrandWizard »

sebbyg wrote:Thanks GrandWizard

If I want to maintain my Pots monitoring how should I set the *55 - Communicator Priority.
Should I still Put the reporting priority to 1 to make sure the Envisalink gets the event first or should it be set to 0.
People leave Priority as 1. This is called Dual Comminicator mode where the Envisalink AND the dialer get the signal at the same time.
GrandWizard

Post by GrandWizard »

DaveSin wrote:Hmmmm... Wasn't aware of this. I notice with my VISTA 20P setup with two Motion Detectors in two separate rooms, I keep getting these Alerts sent to my email account:

2013-01-13 00:04:48 - LIVING RM MOTION Closed

2013-01-12 23:59:29 - LIVING RM MOTION Open

I have since disable (Unchecked) the Motion Detectors under "Manage Zone Followers", which stop these Alerts from being sent to my email address (or SMS). Every time someones walks into the room where these Motions Detectors are located it triggers a Open and Close Alaert, which, according to what you are saying, also gets sent to the Central Monitoring Stations.

What would happen if the Motion Detector(s) caused an actual alarm event when the system is in the Away Mode, would an alert to sent to my email address (or by SMS) with these Motions Alert Disable via the "Manage Zone Followers"? I noticed that the Zone Activity sections still shows the Motion Detectors being Open and Closed, but the Recent Activity secttion does shows these Open/Close events with the Zone Followers disabled.
Zone Followers are not real events, we create them on our servers based on telemetry information from your Envisalink. They have nothing to do with the operation of your security system. You shouldn't really have a zone follower unless there is a zone that you need to monitor regardless of the state of your security system. Maybe a walk-in freezer door or a safe.

Leave them off if you don't want to get a text mesage every time someone goes into your living room.

Oh, and because Zone Followers are not real events, they would never be reported to your central station over the dialer.
sebbyg

Post by sebbyg »

Ok,
Commenting on my own post 8 years later...
I now thoroughly trust EyezOn and Envisalink and I am disconnecting my landline and ending my POTS Monitoring Contract.
While I may eventually sign up for Envisilarm, what I want now is to self-monitor with Envisilink
What settings must I change on my Vista 20P panel so that the System no longer tries to dial out and only sends alerts to the Eyezon Device?
TIA
-Sebastian
GrandWizard

Post by GrandWizard »

You need to disable the dialer and remove the phone number.

From installers programming change the following sections:
*92 to 00
*41*
*42*