Can EnvisaLink 3 replace keypad?

Information and support for EnvisaLink modules.

Moderators: EyezOnRich, GrandWizard

jswim788

Can EnvisaLink 3 replace keypad?

Post by jswim788 »

I've searched but can't find the answer to this question: can the Envisalink 3 replace the keypad in with a DSC 1832? That is, can you have only the 1832 and the Envisalink 3 and get a working system? Can you program the 1832 with the Envisalink?

I'm building up a system slowly and know that I want to hook it into a Vera zwave system so I'm thinking that the Envisalink 3 will be a good choice to bridge over. This is not for something that is primarily a security system on day 1, but may or may not eventually get there. More of a home automation system plus some self monitoring. If the Envisalink 3 can be the keypad, then I can save some money for other items I'll need.

thanks
PurdueGuy

Re: Can EnvisaLink 3 replace keypad?

Post by PurdueGuy »

I do not know if it is technically possible, but I can't say I'd recommend it!

The Envisalink can send arbitrary keypress sequences (limited to a certain number of characters). But you must know exactly what to send (which isn't exactly hard), but you don't get any icons/LEDs/beeps for help from a control pad.

You could get a cheap keypad on Ebay, and just use it for setup, then disconnect it. You'd have to re-run the supervision setup after removing it.
Envisalink-3DS, DSC1832, Vera3