Suggestion -- Optional Mounting box for the EV3

Information and support for EnvisaLink modules.

Moderators: EyezOnRich, GrandWizard

Ken98045

Suggestion -- Optional Mounting box for the EV3

Post by Ken98045 »

I don't have a wired internet connection at my panel. I tried a wireless bridge, but it kept going down on me.

Eyez-on support suggested that I place the EV3 at a location where I could wire it from my upstairs keypad which has wired Ethernet (more or less) available). I did do that, and it worked fine.

However, this required that I buy a box to mount it in, drill out a place for the standoffs and the Ethernet cable. I also had to find strain reliefs of the appropriate size, etc.

So, my suggestion is that Eyez-On should develop/sell a stand alone mounting box with the appropriate standoffs and a good Ethernet jack location. I imagine it would be easy to find a supplier that would make a few hundred/thousand for a very reasonable price (WAG less than $5). Eyez-On could then sell them for $20. Alternatively they could sell another EV3 version complete with box. Everybody is a lot happier. Eyez-On would sell more product, the product would work better because it is wired...
DaveSin

Re: Suggestion -- Optional Mounting box for the EV3

Post by DaveSin »

Your suggestion had me thinking. Does the EnvisaLink 3 generate any appreciable amount of heat and if enclosed in a standalone box, should provision be made at the top of the enclosure to vent the box to minimize rising temperature inside the box?
Ken98045

Post by Ken98045 »

I was initially concerned about a heat problem. I got an aluminum box. If there was a heat build up I'd definitely feel it. The box doesn't feel even slightly warm. It was basically ambient temperature.
pounder

Post by pounder »

dsc already sells boxes with the holes in the right location for this - its the same as any of the expansion modules.

They are pricey and any electrical box will do, just get a 3/8 plastic compression tube for a tap, snip off 1/2" pieces of it, get some 1" tek screws that self drill (#6) and carefully drill through the board, through the tube and into the back of the box for each hole, cheap solid and easy.

ps - I would not even consider this on wireless, wired is the way to go except for a portable device - end of story.

I wish there were ethernet usnap modules for the thermostats and then that would solve a lot of problems there too.
Jon Pounder