Difference between UL and ULC

Information and support for EnvisaLink modules.

Moderators: EyezOnRich, GrandWizard

billyrusa

Difference between UL and ULC

Post by billyrusa »

The EnvisaLink 3 currently can only be monitored by one company found in this forum. The monitoring company is ULC certified.
What is the difference between UL and ULC standard?

Thanks.
Alarms50

Re: Difference between UL and ULC

Post by Alarms50 »

ULC is Underwriters Laboratories of Canada. I do not know if they are affiliated.

If they are similar to the U.S. Underwriters Laboratories the certification you mentioned is in error. Underwriters Laboratories does not "certify" any products or services. What they do do is to test products to verify that they meet certain safety and/or performance criteria.

In the case of Central Station Monitoring Companies these Companies need to demonstrate that their facilities and personnel have met minimum requirements pertaining to keeping the facility operating under various conditions from weather related scenarios, power outages and that alarm signals are acted upon within established time requirements.

If the product or service passes this testing then UL will "list" the product. The correct terminology is that the product is "UL listed" not certified. This is a common misunderstanding.
MStafford

Re: Difference between UL and ULC

Post by MStafford »

I'm in the process of building an alert system which utilizes the EVL-4EZ. The goal, obtain UL listing on my product. All other components of this alert system have UL listed. UL will certify products if one can verify that all components utilized in the alert system are already UL listed. Is this something EyezOn has or will be doing with the EVL-4EZ?

Note: UL - Underwriters Laboratory and ULC - Underwriters Laboratory of Canada are affiliated.