IFTTT Integration for Automation

Information and support for EnvisaLink modules.

Moderators: EyezOnRich, GrandWizard

kappa12

IFTTT Integration for Automation

Post by kappa12 »

I recently purchased a set of Philips Hue bulbs and have integrated them into my alarm system using the TPI. If an alarm triggers, a service I have running that listens for TPI events triggers my Hue bulbs to quickly flash between blue and red. While this works great, I'd prefer to use an approach that doesn't require a custom service to be running on a server at my house.

Have the EnvisaLink team considered integrating with IFTTT? The Philips Hue team recently released an update that integrates their central service with IFTTT. All that would need to be done would be to integrate the EnvisaLink service in order to set up automated lighting control based off of EnvisaLink events. Examples that come to mind:

- If "EnvisaLink reports an alarm" then "flash my Hue bulbs between blue and red"
- If "EnvisaLink is disarmed" then "turn on foyer light"
- Etc...

Of course, this would also allow integration with any other IFTTT integrated service, so users could do anything that IFTTT already allows or would allow in the future. I know this may parallel some of the services you already provide (i.e. sending e-mails/SMS when events trigger), but these are offered for free anyway so I wouldn't think allowing customers to use IFTTT would impact any EnvisaLink-based revenue stream.

Does anyone else think this type of integration would be useful?

Josh
CtrlAltDel

Re: IFTTT Integration for Automation

Post by CtrlAltDel »

I too would like IFTTT integration capabilities.
GrandWizard

Post by GrandWizard »

I tried finding any technical information on IFTTT. Seems like vaouprware. If you have something to look at I can forward it on to the developers.
kappa12

Post by kappa12 »

I agree, it's tough to find concrete information on how to integrate with them. Still, there are a lot of big names in their Channel list, so I feel like it's a legitimate service.

I found the snippet below on their Help page. Looks like someone on your side would need to reach out to them.

Does IFTTT have an API? Can I create my own Channel?
We’re building a Channel Platform to allow anyone with an API to create a Channel! To receive updates as development progresses, fill out this short survey. If you’re a hardware manufacturer with an API, email us at platform@ifttt.com to discuss potential integrations.
GrandWizard

Post by GrandWizard »

I sent them an email asking for more information.
kappa12

Post by kappa12 »

Thanks!
brandonlive

Post by brandonlive »

Any update on this? If Eyez-On were able to integrate with IFTTT, it would enable users to use the EnvisaLink for some pretty powerful actions. For example, an alarm event could turn on lights using WeMo, place a phone call about an alarm (with text-to-speech readout of the alarm details), or even post a facebook status or twitter update calling for help - all for free! I suspect this would be a powerful selling point either for the hardware or, if you prefer, the EnvisAlerts+ service.

If getting Envisalink live as a "channel" on their service isn't practical, there is a possible workaround.... IFTTT can be triggered with just an email from the user's address plus a #hashtag. Would it be possible to give users the ability to customize email alerts so (a) the "from" address is tagged as the user's own email address and (b) a custom #hashtag can be included?
GrandWizard

Post by GrandWizard »

IFTTT is not interested in working with us.
mtmsol

Post by mtmsol »

I'm surprised (and dissapointed) that IFTTT does not want to work with you, there are already over 80 channels and they are adding more all the time. To the previous post, is there any chance we could customize the notification e-mails that we receive instead? Being able to embed hastags (such as #arm, #disarm, #alarm, etc) would allow users to trigger IFTTT recipes from the notification e-mails they receive from EvisAlerts. I'm working around this by using a dedicated G-mail account for my notifications and using the Gmail channel in IFTTT to parse the subject line and sender to identify EvisAlerts. While this works, it would be far easier and more powerful if I could embed hashtags into the notification e-mails I receive.

In case anyone else is trying to use IFTTT, here's a sample recipe for parsing the EnvisAlerts notification e-mails using the GMail channel:
https://ifttt.com/recipes/149601-alarm-disarm

Thanks!
Mike
flechuga

Post by flechuga »

Hello, I'm new here.
Yesterday I received my Envisalink 3 and I installed it.

Today I integrated the system with IFTTT. I created a dedicated gmail account and set up sms alerts on IFTTT for any mail received in that account from the Eyez-On email address.

I'll see how it works and report.

Thank you