Setting a static IP without use of DHCP?

Information and support for EnvisaLink modules.

Moderators: EyezOnRich, GrandWizard

rcl

Setting a static IP without use of DHCP?

Post by rcl »

Hello

I've had the EVL-3 in my hands and being researched for this question for 3 days now. From the get-go I was pretty sure I already knew the answer to these questions but I'll ask them on the forum anyway. I'm an electrical engineer and have been doing networking for decades so I'm versed in the lingo...

My corporate network does not have DHCP set up nor do I want to install it on my servers, nor keep a DHCP-enabled router on the network solely for the use by EVL-3 to acquire a network address.

Hence, my question is: is there a default IP address to which I can log into the EVL-3? And second, how can I force a specific IP address + gateway address onto the EVL-3? Based on the default firmware which I am running, the answer to both of these questions appears to be "it can't be done".

Even if I add in to my network with a temporary DHCP-enabled router, the EVL-3 provides me no means to set an explicit IP address, as I don't want to "lock in or freeze" the DHCP assigned address + gateway provided by my temporary DHCP router. All of my network devices have well defined preset IP addresses and a specific gateway (my VPN box).

Thanks for any potential follow-up comments.
GrandWizard

Re: Setting a static IP without use of DHCP?

Post by GrandWizard »

Just use a router to temporarily get access to the Envisalink and set the DHCP server to give the proper netmask, DNS, gateway etc. From the Envisalink you can set the last octet of the the IP address to be whatever you want. You no longer have to "freeze" what is given to you.

Then stick the Envisalink on your network.
rcl

Post by rcl »

Thanks for the info. After playing around with the DD-WRT router for 2 hours I finally got it to assign a specific DNS and specific gateway which was not the DHCP-specific IP addresses.

I do have one last question: if power is lost to the EVL-3 for any appreciable amount of time, will these static IP settings be lost or do you use static memory to retain the values? The reason I ask is that I now need the EVL-3 to be fault tolerant to the "end of time" while it monitors our office and I don't want it dependent upon a DHCP server which will no longer be on my network after today. Also, if I have to drag out my laptop + DD-WRT DHCP router and set it up every time power is lost to the EVL-3 then I'll be pulling my hair out for sure.

As a request for future firmware upgrades, can you (1) assign a default IP address to be used by the EVL-3 (such as 192.168.0.1) and (2) can you allow the DNS and gateway fields to be editable? That would have saved me 4 nights of investigation and work.

If I may ask one more question, to add to my "future notes" document, how can one do a hard reset of the device just in case I were to lock out or forget the statically assigned IP address? (This is assuming that pulling the power does not delete the IP configuration info).

Thanks.
GrandWizard

Post by GrandWizard »

The network settings are stored in non-volatile memory that will only be erased with a factory reset. The factory reset procedure is in the FAQ. I have included a link to it for your convenience.

http://forum.eyez-on.com/FORUM/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=365
rcl

Post by rcl »

Thanks for the prompt info!