Basic Questions

Information and support for EnvisaLink modules.

Moderators: EyezOnRich, GrandWizard

mrrrl

Basic Questions

Post by mrrrl »

Looking at their EnvisaLink 3 board for the DSC systems. What I understand, to use this I have to have my system connected to their system to use the web browser interface, which is really just their interface to my system. Its not a stand alone system.

Does everyone feel comfortable knowing they can monitor/control your system?
What happens when they get hacked? What a deal that would be for the hackers to be able to sell your status to the highest bidder.
What happens when they go out of business?

Not being negative to put this product down just trying to understand the systems and risks involved here before I purchase this. It maybe my only choice for now.

Would really like to see an interface that has its own web server that I can control, but have not seen anything like that yet for the DSC systems. Has anyone built an a standalone interface for this using Jetty to tomcat to grab the data?

Thanks
ams123

Re: Basic Questions

Post by ams123 »

I thought about this when I installed my system. It really hinges on if Eyes-On stores your user codes. To disarm your system you enter you user code in the webpage so if Eyez-On had a record of that then there would be a problem. Since there is no good reason for them to store it I go on the assumption they don't in which case all a hacker could gain is the ability to arm your system. Not sure what good that would do them.

Any monitoring solution will expose you to some level of risk in this regard so you really just need to decide if monitoring in general is worth the risk.
GrandWizard

Re: Basic Questions

Post by GrandWizard »

If you don't want to use Envisalerts you don't have to. There is an open API called the Envisalink TPI that many third-party applications use. You can find information about it on the first page of the forum.

No, Eyezon does not store users codes or any commands for that matter. As soon as they are transmitted they are gone.