Should I upgrade to 2DS

Information and support for EnvisaLink modules.

Moderators: EyezOnRich, GrandWizard

dmacaskill

Should I upgrade to 2DS

Post by dmacaskill »

Hi, I have two IP100D's, is there currently anything that is offered with the 2DS that I don't currently have? I understand there will be new features with the 2Ds but is this added yet? Also will the 2DS install by simply pulling the wires off the IP100D and replacing it.

Thanks.
dmacaskill

Re: Should I upgrade to 2DS

Post by dmacaskill »

ANYONE!
GrandWizard

Post by GrandWizard »

Well, the only two features that are different right now are the length of the zone timers (3 days vs. 1 hour), and the '2DS can be set to static IP.

On the roadmap is the EnvisAlarms service for those interested in professional monitoring. It is in Beta so it should be released shortly. Also on the roadmap is the IP5401 plugin API which will allow developers access to the internals of the '2DS.

That's about it.
dmacaskill

Post by dmacaskill »

What would be the advantage to using a static IP? I assume this is an internally assigned static IP and if so how does the eyez-on portal find the card without ddns? Is this so you can access the cards interface without using the portal?
GrandWizard

Post by GrandWizard »

The only real reason for static IP is so you can port forward your router to the Envisalink module. People do this to access the local webserver on the module from the external Internet. The main reason people do that is to use third-party iPhone and Android apps for our modules.

You might also want a static IP if you have a flakey router.

Nevertheless you can still make the module static by configuring your DHCP server to reserve an IP just for your module based on MAC. This is what most people do.

How does the alerts server find your Envisalink module you ask? We use the same method that VPNs and SIP servers use. Your module periodically registers itself with one of the alert servers so a connection is always available regardless of NAT routing.
hypnosis4u2nv

Post by hypnosis4u2nv »

I have a problem accessing the 2DS from an external internet source. I set the static IP by reserving an IP with my primary routers DHCP. Then I port forward the ports 80 on TCP and UDP on the unit. I've even tried different sets of ports with no luck.. I can't access it outside the network.

Any ideas?