z-wave / home automation expansion?

Information and support for EnvisaLink modules.

Moderators: EyezOnRich, GrandWizard

TMeyezo

z-wave / home automation expansion?

Post by TMeyezo »

Any chance you guys will be expanding the EVL-3 to incorporate z-wave or some home automation functionality? Perhaps maybe put that expansion or 5-pin mystery connector to use? :geek:
mikepo

Re: z-wave / home automation expansion?

Post by mikepo »

I just got a VeraLite home automation controller from MiCasaVerde for this (http://www.amazon.com/Mi-Casa-Verde-Ver ... B007005364).

There is a free plugin that lets it connect to DSC Alarm panels using the EnvisaLink module.
By doing that you now can use all your Alarm system's door/motion sensors as triggers for home automation, or send you an email etc. Basically it adds z-wave automation capabilities and a lot of additional capabilities to your DSC Alarm system. It works pretty well for me, I just started with it recently. I have added a few IP cameras, you can set it up so the camera takes a few pictures when a door sensor or motion sensor is tripped, or send you an email too.

You could program it to turn down the thermostat and switch off your lights when the system is armed in "away" mode etc.

Note: the system still is a bit rough around the edges, so you'd have to be comfortable with tinkering with it. Basically it runs OpenWRT underneath with a proprietary z-wave and UI layer on top of it.

PS: I think the processor on the EVL-3 module is an ATMega644, which has probably not enough processing power to implement a home automation system in addition to its current communication and encryption tasks.

Mike
TMeyezo

Post by TMeyezo »

Yeah I've had the Vera Lite for about a month now, and installed the DSC plugin. Not in love with it to be honest. For basic DSC alarm monitoring and remote control the eyez-on free service is the best in my opinion. The Vera is more like a device that can combine all your home stuff into single place, but as you say it's rough on the edges and you certainly do have to do a lot of tinkering to get what you want out of it. Plus if the Vera goes offline there's no way you'll know, there's no offline/online alert. Huge problem when you need to know if your security system is going off. I got the Vera to expand into some z-wave devices and make an attempt at going full home automation. So far it's slow going with Vera. Which is why I posted about the EVL-3 and z-wave adaption, I just think the eyez-on portal works best.
MacJeff

Post by MacJeff »

I'm interested in the Eyez-on monitoring system and considering either of the supported alarm panels. But I would like to also control a door lock either over z-wave or another protocol. Any experience with this? Can either of the panels be extended to control a z-wave deadbolt?

Edit. A little more information. The DSC panel can accept the DSC IT-230 RS-422 ($53 at homesecuritystore.com), which will "enables integration to Z-wave devices, cameras and C24 TouchScreens." It seems that the Vista 20p or 21p can only add z-wave with the addition of the TuxedoTouch panel, at a hefty $378.50 (same store). So from a price perspective, the DSC is a much better option, but I'm looking to confirm that I can manage the z-wave devices on the panel through self-monitoring without using the DSC Connect24 service.

Any input would be very much appreciated.
GrandWizard

Post by GrandWizard »

No, the IT-230 is for C24 Interactive (somewhat defunct now) only.

If you want to add Z-wave I would recommend the MicasaVerde Lite controller which integrates with the Envisalink quite well.
kenmasters

Post by kenmasters »

Sounds like you can use the DSC for incoming events into the Vera controller, but you cannot control the DSC panel directly ?

I am looking for a mobile app that has it all... arm/disarm, thermostat, IP camera, custom outputs all from one APP.

I do like the Eyez-on mobile portal. However, I read that the thermostat and camera support is lacking and non-existent.

Why are all these systems so incomplete... wait for someone like NEST to shake up this industry. Get it right !!!
scyto

Post by scyto »

C24 interactive is not defunct per se. DSC announced it has transferred the service to teleguard. They will continue to sell the C24 hub and are introducing a new bridge hub too. You can read all about in the press releases from teleguard and DSC.
spud

Post by spud »

GrandWizard wrote:No, the IT-230 is for C24 Interactive (somewhat defunct now) only.

If you want to add Z-wave I would recommend the MicasaVerde Lite controller which integrates with the Envisalink quite well.
An alternative to MicasaVerde is HomeSeer. I'm using Homeseer with Z-wave and EnvisaLink, and it works very well.
I have created a plugin for EnvisaLink DSC, and I'm currently building another one for EnvisaLink Ademco/Honeywell
donmiller

Post by donmiller »

kenmasters wrote:Sounds like you can use the DSC for incoming events into the Vera controller, but you cannot control the DSC panel directly ?

I am looking for a mobile app that has it all... arm/disarm, thermostat, IP camera, custom outputs all from one APP.

I.....
Sure, vera can control the panel. I use homewave iphone app with a veralite to do all you mention. It looks good too. But you have to build the interface and set the connections. There's no off the shelf software that's ready to go because every user has unique devices and needs.

go to http://homewave.intvelt.com/, here the alarm control

From Homewave: "This control will show the alarm and armed states of an alarm section. It also allows you to control the alarm section’s state, by tapping the control. The selection of available armed states can be reduced in the control’s property screen.

If your alarm system requires Vera to provide a PIN in order to accept commands from it, you can provide this PIN in the control’s properties. For your security, this PIN is stored in an encrypted state (as is the entire configuration), and you can change the control to only work after the user supplies the PIN for HomeWave."

homewave is $6, a veralite is $180

Homewave is just a nice iOS interface to vera, which talks to the alarm system.

Edit: Micasaverde (now called Vera Control) makes the hardware devices Vera 3 and Vera Lite.