Request for suggestion - back door contact open

Information and support for EnvisaLink modules.

Moderators: EyezOnRich, GrandWizard

austinrocks

Request for suggestion - back door contact open

Post by austinrocks »

My system is showing "all-devices" Not Ready State. when I looked it shows status that Backdoor is open. infact the door is closed. when I bypass that door, I can set the alarm.

1. either after years of use the alignment of the magnetic contact with the contact on frame is not right.
2. the magnet attached to the door has lost its power.

can you folks give me some ideas to fix this.

I have DSC 1616. do you think the following is compatible with my system to try item #2?
http://www.homesecuritystore.com/p-205- ... ntact.aspx

any other ideas ?
austinrocks

Re: Request for suggestion - back door contact open

Post by austinrocks »

I confirmed that the wired contact is working fine. I removed the magnet from door and touched it to wired contact on the frame and it worked fine. either the strength of magnet is low or the alignment is not correct.
Hashtag

Post by Hashtag »

Did you check the connection at the panel for that specific zone ? Ensure the wires are nice and tight where they terminate into the board.

Check the line (at the panel) with a multimeter to verfiy a change of state when the door is opened and closed. This will help you ascertain whether the issue actually lies with the wiring to the door.

Assuming you are not using EOL resistors, short the zone at the panel. If your keypad shows "ready" then you're probably looking at a bad wire or magnet.

Hope this helps.
austinrocks

Post by austinrocks »

Thanks for the suggestions. I can try that. Can anyone let me know what setting to use on multimeter to check state change. I am beginner.
austinrocks

Post by austinrocks »

Grandwizard, I think that link is not relevant to this discussion. You may have posted by accident.

hashtag,

I used multimeter and tested the connectivity.

for all zones when closed read .500. for "backdoor zone" the reading showed .700.

I opened a good working zone and tested and it showed .700 reading.

then, I went to back door, removed magnet from door and stuck it very close to contact on door frame. it read the magnet and the zone closed. I also tested the reading for the backdoor in this setting which showed .500.

I also tightened all wires etc.. and did not find anything out of ordinary.

my conclusion is that my magnet lost its strength.

Now I need to find a good replacement that fits the same width and length of my existing magnet.

Please help me find a replacement part. as the part that I have doesnt list the make and model.

I googled it and I am getting ademco and other options but they are not looking like this one.

please help me find the replacement part.
austinrocks

Post by austinrocks »

attaching the image of my magnetic contact.
Attachments
IMG_4793.JPG
IMG_4793.JPG (21.63 KiB) Viewed 8398 times
Hashtag

Post by Hashtag »

Hi,

You do not need to purchase the exact match for what you have, after all it's just a magnet.

Before you go out and buy something, try to determine if the magnet and contact are misaligned. I've seen doors / windows where the installer was off by quite a bit. All you may need is a drill and the right size bit.

If both are already quite close, you may as well buy a new set (magnet and reed switch) from Amazon or some other local supplier. The magnet should fit in the existing hole since the sizes are pretty generic.

If it is lose, use some white silicone. If it's tight, drill out the hole with the next size drill bit.