Efficient alarm setup before signing up for EnvisAlarms

Information and support for EnvisaLink modules.

Moderators: EyezOnRich, GrandWizard

VitaminC

Efficient alarm setup before signing up for EnvisAlarms

Post by VitaminC »

I have just got my DSC1832 with three motion sensors, two smoke detectors, a flood sensor and soon to be high/low temperature sensor.

They all work and my Envisalink 3 will text/email when any one of the sensor is triggered.

My concern is, everytime I enter the house, I will trigger the motion detector and hence, will alert me via text/email... If I have EnvisAlarms, i will trigger a emergency....

What should I be doing? Should I be disabling the alarm before I enter the house? If so, where do one usually install the keypad?? An alternative would be to use my smartphone to disable before entering... But way too often my iPhone battery is gone before I enter the house...

Need suggest as to how I should be configuring my alarm.

Thx
GrandWizard

Re: Efficient alarm setup before signing up for EnvisAlarms

Post by GrandWizard »

Why would you receive alerts if a motion sensor goes off? Do you have a zone follower on it? If so that is against the acceptable use policy. Please read this FAQ

http://forum.eyez-on.com/FORUM/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=463
quatchi

Post by quatchi »

Your entry door should have been setup with a contact with entry delay to give you a chance to disarm. If not possible to in install contact then change the motion to include a delay but obviously being less than ideal.
VitaminC

Post by VitaminC »

Here is the thing... I am complete newbe to home alarm system. I am fairly decent with electronics so hence I wire up the system myself but actual efficiency of the system is a trial and error for me, hence I posted this question :)

I do not have any door contact sensor at the moment and I live in a location where buying a wireless door contact is not a easy task... I will have to order online and it get expensive~

So if I pay a delay to the motion sensor, what exactly is the problem? I am putting myself/house at risk? Please explain. Also, how exactly do I put delay? Do I put this in my DSC PC1832 or configure this in my Envisalink 3?

thx
quatchi

Post by quatchi »

Delays should be added only where needed. Having a delay means giving a thief that much more time to try to disable your alarm.

If someone tries to climb through a window, obviously this is abnormal condition, so window contacts and motions would be instant alarm.

If you were coming home, then you would come through the front door, door contact would have a delay, giving you a chance to disarm the system.

A proper designed system consists of multiple types of sensors to cover all what-if's senarios and back each other up.

Delay programming is done as part of DSC system programming, refer to zone definitions, type 06 for motions/delay
VitaminC

Post by VitaminC »

I currently have my motion sensor at type 05.

Correct me if I am wrong. With type 05 for motion sensor, it will get trigger instantly say if a thief broke in the house via a window. But if a legit person came into the house front door, triggering the front door contact sensor, the motion sensor will be put into a delay allowing the legit person to enter disarm code. Is this correct? If so, I will to buy a few door contact sensor to properly setup my alarm before signing up from EnvisAlarm.

thx
lonewolf

Post by lonewolf »

VitaminC wrote:Is this correct?
Yes, that is correct. I have all my motions set to type 5 as well.