Vista 20p with existing phone dialer

Information and support for EnvisaLink modules.

Moderators: EyezOnRich, GrandWizard

pendetim

Vista 20p with existing phone dialer

Post by pendetim »

Hi,
Newbee here. :D

I did a bit of reading here and could not find a clear answer to my question.

I am getting ready to purchase and install a model 3 in my Ademco 20p panel with an 8 port expansion module and 3 key pads. This panel also has an existing built in phone dialer which contacts my alarm company, Alarm Relay. I want to maintain their service as well as the features to arm/disarm/monitor from the EnvisaLink website.

I understand that I will need to add this new communicator as the next in line key pad address.

Where I am unsure is how do I handle the new EnvisaLink communications requirements.

Is the phone dialer considered a type of LLR?

Do I need to enable shadowing?

There are parameters already setup for the phone dialer listed under Comunications #3 for Alarm Relay and I do not want to mess those up.

From your Setup Guide:

3 - Communications Setup
Go to the following sections, and program them as indicated (Note: this is for Sole Communicator setups, you may need to specify different settings if you have more than one communicator enabled):
*48 - Contact ID. Use the default, Contact ID 4 by setting *48 to 77
*49 - Split/Dual report. *49, should be set to 5 to enable both communicators getting events
*50 - Burglar Dialer Delay (optional). The default is [2,0] which causes a 30 second delay until an alarm event is sent out. If you want the event to be sent out with no delay then set this to [0,0].
*54 - Dynamic Signalling. You should turn off the dynamic signalling delay by making *54 to 0
*55 - Communicator Priority. Put the reporting priority to, *55, to 1 to make sure the Envisalink gets the event first.

*48 My existing service uses contact ID, should be good here.
*49 set to Dual, correct???
*50 delay - whatever -
*54 Dynamic Signal Not sure what this is... will follow advice.
*55 Communicator priority. Phone dialer should get first notice as they are ones calling police, etc. How is this set?
GrandWizard

Re: Vista 20p with existing phone dialer

Post by GrandWizard »

LRR is just a name for any external communicator whether this by IP or GSM (I don`t think that LRR even exists anymore). The Envisalink will be your sole external communicator so you DO NOT want shadowing off.

Everything else is as you mention.
pendetim

Post by pendetim »

GrandWizard wrote:LRR is just a name for any external communicator whether this by IP or GSM (I don`t think that LRR even exists anymore). The Envisalink will be your sole external communicator so you DO NOT want shadowing off.

Everything else is as you mention.
OK Thanks. Just so I can learn the correct termonology, the internal phone dialer modem that currently ( and in the future continues to contact ) contacts my alarm service is not considered an "external communicator"? Is this because the dialer is built in to the motherboard?

Tim
GrandWizard

Post by GrandWizard »

Yep, that would be called the "digital" dialer, in 1980's parlance.

An external communicator is physically external to the panel. It could be a Long Range Radio, or a GSM, or IP communicator. These were generally considered backup communicators 10 years ago but now IP and GSM are frequently the primary mode of communication to the central station.

You may see reference in Honeywell documentation to a secondary "dialer". This really means a secondary phone number to call, not a seperate dialer altogether.
DaveSin

Post by DaveSin »

In the case of the Ademco VISTA 21IP, the IP Communicator is integrated into the motherboard and technically is not "physically external to the panel". In this case, LRR is enabled (IP/GSM/LRR Shadowing is turned on/enabled)..... right?

GrandWizard wrote:Yep, that would be called the "digital" dialer, in 1980's parlance.

An external communicator is physically external to the panel. It could be a Long Range Radio, or a GSM, or IP communicator. These were generally considered backup communicators 10 years ago but now IP and GSM are frequently the primary mode of communication to the central station.

You may see reference in Honeywell documentation to a secondary "dialer". This really means a secondary phone number to call, not a seperate dialer altogether.