EVL-3 connectivity issues

Information and support for EnvisaLink modules.

Moderators: EyezOnRich, GrandWizard

bmoroze

EVL-3 connectivity issues

Post by bmoroze »

Hi,

I purchased and installed an EVL-3 a few weeks ago, on a DSC panel. Everything worked fine at install.

More recently, I had noticed that I had intermittent problems (generally more problem than success) controlling the panel from the website. I had installed it using a wireless point to connect to the EVL-3's ethernet port, and thought maybe the problems were due to the wireless bridge going up and down.

To fix that, I hard-wired a network run from my router (an Actiontec 1424) to the EVL-3. I tested and verified that that cable and port work fine by using a laptop. However, I'm still experiencing the same mostly-down intermittent behavior.

The primary problem seems to be that I can't consistently ping the EVL-3 on my local network, nor can I (not surprisingly) log in to the internal web portal it has. Every now and then I will get a clean ping from a computer on my internal network, and then I can briefly log in to the portal, at which point the EVL-3 will instantly and perfectly control my DSC panel.

I've tried disabling all firewalls, changing QoS, etc., to no avail. It feels to me like there's something intermittently wrong with the EVL-3's network port/hardware, because I can ping other devices on my network without an issue, consistently.

If there's some problematic router or network setting that would usually but not always block *internal* connectivity to the envisalink portal (I try http://envisalink or its actual IP address, which I've made static--there are no address conflicts), I'd love to change it, but I'm concerned I may need a new EVL-3 at this point.

Thanks,
Ben
DaveSin

Re: EVL-3 connectivity issues

Post by DaveSin »

Did you try rebooting the Router and ENV-3 after setting up the hardwired connection?

Is the Actiontec 1424 a Router only or a Router and Modem Combo? If combo, do you have a spare Router (only) available, which can be connected to the Actiontec 1424 with its Router function disable? Can you test this configuration to see what the results are?
bmoroze

Post by bmoroze »

Yes, I've rebooted everything since. I was also having the same connectivity problem when it was connected via wireless, I just had thought maybe it was a wireless issue.

I've tried this hardwire run through a switch and also directly to the router (which is a Verizon Fios router/modem). I think a switch would function the same as a router in between with its router/DHCP function off. Same intermittent problems pinging either way: wireless, hardwire to router, hardwire to switch. Every now and then my pings go through, and even more rarely I can get to the envisalink portal, but mostly they don't. I can ping other devices on the same router or switch internally consistently with no problem.

Thanks,
Ben
GrandWizard

Post by GrandWizard »

You may want to try adding a switch as a test as the Envisalink is a 10BaseT device and there are reports that some routers/switches don't behave well with the slower speed devices.
bmoroze

Post by bmoroze »

Hi thanks,

Do you mean just stick an extra simple 5 port switch connecting to the EVL-3, and then connect that to my network line? Add an extra point of connection, basically?

Thanks,
Ben
bmoroze

Post by bmoroze »

If you did mean what I described (adding an additional switch between my router and/or main switch), I tried it and I'm getting the same results--the occasional successful ping, then timeouts, and no good access to the EVL portal.

Thanks,
Ben
DaveSin

Post by DaveSin »

See this Thread, last post:

http://forum.eyez-on.com/FORUM/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1263
Problem solved, envisalink3 only communicates at 10Mbps, not 100Mbps, had to use an old router that would switch automatically to 10Mbps.
where a another router was introduced. This appears to be the same type of issues you are experiencing. Again, can you disable the Router function on the Verzion Router/Modem, or changed the appropriate setting within their Router/Modem to address the 10Mbps vs. 100Mbps issue?

bmoroze wrote:If you did mean what I described (adding an additional switch between my router and/or main switch), I tried it and I'm getting the same results--the occasional successful ping, then timeouts, and no good access to the EVL portal.

Thanks,
Ben
bmoroze

Post by bmoroze »

Thanks. I don't think this is the same issue. I can ping it sometimes, but usually not--in this other case they couldn't ping at all. Here, the problem is intermittent, and when I first set it up it was working fine. I have tried plugging it directly in to the router that connects to the internet (there is no "modem" per se with Verizon Fios--you can't do without their 1424 router). I don't believe there are any settings to allow or disallow slower devices--I believe I have devices like that that work fine.

Ben
bmoroze

Post by bmoroze »

OK, I found some of the direct port settings on the Actiontec--I made sure that the port the EVL-3 was plugged into was set to either 10 mpbs half or full duplex. What I'm seeing, I guess as expected, is that I can only sometimes ping/sometimes have the EVL-3 work when things are set to 10 half or full (or auto, at which case the port claims it's working at 10 half). If I force it to 100 half or full, I can't see/ping the EVL-3 at all. So it seems that the router is communicating with the EVL-3 at the speed expected, but I still see intermittent pings no matter what, and can't access the portal.

The 1424 router can *usually* ping the EVL-3 directly (using the router's web interface), but even those time out occasionally. Pinging from my PC (or a laptop) on the same network almost never works right (and neither can connect to the portal).

Thanks
Ben
bmoroze

Post by bmoroze »

Hi,

I'm still having issues with the EVL-3 not communicating on my home network, and worse, periodically not responding to commands via the account or app (although with heavily delayed notifications).

What are my next steps? I left messages with support but haven't heard back.

Thanks,
Ben