Suggestion: JQuery Mobile Framework for Mobile Site?

Information and support for EnvisaLink modules.

Moderators: EyezOnRich, GrandWizard

Steve Jenkins

Suggestion: JQuery Mobile Framework for Mobile Site?

Post by Steve Jenkins »

As a new 2DS user, I'm very happy with the product. Install was a breeze, setup straightforward, and functionality is as-promised. Awesome.

Now, I don't say this next part to offend whoever designed the interface for the mobile-optimized version of the ESP interface, but as a web and mobile site developer myself, I'm critical of mobile interfaces. The interface functions... but I think it could be far prettier, easier to use, and more consistent (font face and size, for example), with minimal additional effort.

May I make a friendly suggestion to check out the JQuery Mobile Framework?

http://jquerymobile.com/

It's free, makes developing and deploying mobile sites quick & easy, provides maximum cross-device compatibility - and best of all, the interface looks GREAT. As an example, using JQuery Mobile, my business partner and I were able to take all the data available on the full version of our video game cheats site (http://cheatcodes.com/) and deploy a mobile site (http://m.cheatcodes.com/) in less than a week (fair warning: if you try to visit that mobile URL with a non-mobile device, it will redirect you to the non-mobile site).

Again - no disrespect intended at whoever designed the mobile ESP interface. It's just that my guess is whoever did so is primarily a back-end developer and not a front-end designer. And that's exactly who JQM is meant for. It handles the design for you.

And while I'm giving friendly site feedback, I noticed that when I log in to the non-mobile site with my account at eyez-on.com, if I press ENTER after typing in my password with the focus still in the password field, the page reloads (and therefore blanks out my input fields) instead of submitting the form (at least it does in Chrome). That should be a simple fix to submit the form on ENTER.

Thanks for listening and keep up the great work.
EyezOnRich

Re: Suggestion: JQuery Mobile Framework for Mobile Site?

Post by EyezOnRich »

Hi Steve

No disrespect taken, that was just the first iteration of the mobile interface and a new version is already underway using JQuery mobile. :D

Don't want to give a time-frame yet as it depends on how many new features we add.

The log-in issue you note must be related to Chrome. We'll take a look at it.
Steve Jenkins

Re: Suggestion: JQuery Mobile Framework for Mobile Site?

Post by Steve Jenkins »

EyezOnRich wrote:No disrespect taken,
OK, good. :)
EyezOnRich wrote:that was just the first iteration of the mobile interface and a new version is already underway using JQuery mobile.
Also good! :)
EyezOnRich wrote:Don't want to give a time-frame yet as it depends on how many new features we add.
Rule one of technical development: under-promise and over-deliver. Well played. :)
EyezOnRich wrote:The log-in issue you note must be related to Chrome. We'll take a look at it.
Thanks!