DSC is dead

Information and support for EnvisaLink modules.

Moderators: EyezOnRich, GrandWizard

dumbo25

DSC is dead

Post by dumbo25 »

I have a DSC1616 board and two PK5501 control panels. I bought an Envisalink 3 (EV3). I followed the instructions with the EV3 and disconnected power from the DSC1616 (1. Disconnect power from the panel). Since power comes from a battery and an AC line, I disconnected both. I connected the EV3, connected the EV3 to a switch and restored power. I registered and tried to access the system and nothing. The DSC system seems to be dead. I checked all the panel connections and they are firmly connected. I de-installed the EV3 and restored power, and it is still dead. (dead = both DSC control panels have no power, the EV3 has no LEDs on, no link lights on the switch) Any ideas (other than call a service guy)?
GrandWizard

Re: DSC is dead

Post by GrandWizard »

What's the voltage on the AC input to the panel? It should be around 16Vac.

DSC's transformers are fused and if you accidentally touched the two wires together when you removed them, you could have blown the fuse. Unfortunately you cannot service the fuse so you will need a new transformer.
dumbo25

Re: DSC is dead

Post by dumbo25 »

I didn't remove the two AC wires on the panel. I just removed the AC wall plug to the DSC unit. So, there was no chance of accidentally touching the two wires. I then unplugged the battery. I think I lost the control panel once before: the battery was dead and, during a storm, we momentarily lost power to the house.

I assume the first two screws on the left are + and - AC, I attached red to red, and black-to-black. Using a a cheap meter with ACV set at 50, I got 0V. I also tried touching the wires going into the screws with the same result. So, this is probably the issue. I am not sure how I did this. Arrgh!

Thanks for the help!

I called service. He said: the transformer is okay, one battery is dead and needed to be replaced. He did some type of reset, and then re-programmed some features. All is working now.

After he let, I installed a normally closed momentary switch on the red wire between the PC1616 and the EVL-3. This allows me to manually reboot the EVL-3, or I can reboot the EVL-3 from the EVL-3 webpage: 192.168.1.92/3