EVL4 stopped working - something is shorted (fried!)??

Information and support for EnvisaLink modules.

Moderators: EyezOnRich, GrandWizard

pjk91

EVL4 stopped working - something is shorted (fried!)??

Post by pjk91 »

Hi all,

New to EVL modules and DSC alarms. I had my EVL installed for a few weeks, I haven't even had a chance to integrate with the Vera controller yet. I recently cleaned up my Ethernet faceplate wiring and after I plugged everything where it needed to go, everything worked except for the EVL4. Checked on the alarm panel and saw that only the OPER, KEYB lights were on and all others were out. I immediately thought that maybe I had bad Ethernet patch cord. Pulled out the tester, and it was fine.

Next step was a power cycle. I disconnected the power from the EVL for 10seconds and then reconnected it. Lights were on for a few seconds, and then they were all off. Now I'm really confused. Went here and found the instructions for a factory reset. I powered it up and intended on performing the factory reset by shorting the RST gold half circles. As soon as I plugged in the red/black wires, the black rectangle (if you're looking from the top, it's the third one left of the blue wire block) starting smoking and glowing orange!!

So the thing is shot, I don't believe I did ANYTHING wrong. What is my course of action at this point?