NOTICE: T-Mobile throttling SMS messages from Eyezon

Information and support for EnvisaLink modules.

Moderators: EyezOnRich, GrandWizard

GrandWizard

NOTICE: T-Mobile throttling SMS messages from Eyezon

Post by GrandWizard »

T-Mobile has enacted a policy of allowing only 10 SMS messages from a third-party per hour. This effectively means that T-Mobile is blocking all of our traffic.

As there is no indication that they will reverse this policy we recommend our customers use an intervening email account to forward their SMS messages for them.

Alternately use a "push" notification email like Gmail or iCloud to get real-time notifications on their smart phones.
Zonker

Re: NOTICE: T-Mobile throttling SMS messages from Eyezon

Post by Zonker »

Yes I started noticing this yesterday. The delay is significant. Is T-Mobile trying to extract a fee from businesses that utilize SMS? Are they offering Eyezon a solution to overcome this limitation?

Thanks
K-Man

Post by K-Man »

I use a website for organizing baseball teams and they are reporting the same problem. I believe the reason is that they cannot derive revenue from email-to-SMS messages as there is nobody to bill. They want companies to use the T-mobile SMS portal which charges per message for what they call "bulk messaging".
Zonker

Post by Zonker »

This is another great example of why an Eyezon app would make sense. If all the carriers start to follow this model of charging for SMS access, then it will be difficult to get real time alerts (email is just not ideal). An app would provide real time notifications and more logon security than the current web based link.

Z
GrandWizard

Post by GrandWizard »

Envisacor is working on an alerting app. We have no control over this portion of the service, just the web portals.
nutshellml

Post by nutshellml »

Is there any way around this? Automation to have an email account send a text message? Push notifications are good but not "real time"/"real notification" like text on smart phone.
sylvaing

Post by sylvaing »

This is what I did (but I"m on Telus, which also throttles SMS from here unfortunately). Created a special account in GMail just for this. This email only receives alarm and lost of network supervision warning. In the GMail account, I created two rules, one that has a rule of "from:(noreply@eyezon.com)" and forward the email to my SMS phone number (for Telus, it's phonenumber@msg.telus.com) and another rule set to "from:(-noreply@eyezon.com)" (notice the '-' before noreply which means anything but) that prevents the message from entering the inbox. Works great so far...
GrandWizard

Post by GrandWizard »

It looks like your complaints have made T-Mobile back-down.

Alerts are now working normally again..

Congrats!