Echo? VoIP Softphone? Why/Why Not?

Information and support for EnvisaLink modules.

Moderators: EyezOnRich, GrandWizard

Agrajag

Echo? VoIP Softphone? Why/Why Not?

Post by Agrajag »

I have a Honeywell Vista 20P system that I got control over and ordered the EnvisaLink 4 (which gets here Monday 6/13).

In reading up on it, I wondered about two things that, for me, would be quite useful (and I assume others). Are items like this on the wish list or already in the works? If not, why not?

1. Amazon Echo support. That would be COOL:

"Alexa, set alarm to Stay"
"Setting Alarm to Stay. What is your passcode?"
"1234"
"Alarm set to Stay. You have 60 seconds before the alarm is armed."

Then, on return:

"Alexa, Alarm Off. 1234"
"Alarm Off"

2. It's going to be connected to an Ethernet port which means it could EASILY act as a softphone and use my VoIP service to make outbound calls on a service I already have or that's dirt cheap. The other part would be to allow for entry of our numbers, police and fire. Then when the appropriate alarm goes off, call the Police/Fire (and us) and play back an automated message that states the situation and provides the address and then repeat until they hang up.

Thoughts?
GrandWizard

Re: Echo? VoIP Softphone? Why/Why Not?

Post by GrandWizard »

#1 - You should see if the Echo supports the Envisalink. We don't integrate with home automation systems, it is the other way around.

#2 - Wow, this is wrong on so many levels.

A) If I walked up to the firmware group and said "Hey guys, seeing that there is a blue Ethernet cable sticking out of the Envisalink, it would be EASY to turn it into a VoIP softphone...." I would be pelted by coffee mugs and verbally assaulted.

B) Having a device that called 911 with a recording is one of the best ways to earn one month in the county lock-up. By statute and/or by-law this is illegal and will earn you at least a visit before your local JP for mischief.
Agrajag

Post by Agrajag »

Um.... Thanks for the ..... professional (??) response to questions from someone new to your product..... Wow....

#1 Every other device I have connected to the Echo was touted heavily by the vendor of the hardware that now works on it including many big named companies. Each of them had to provide a solution for a product that is currently the hottest thing in electronics. The idea that Amazon should be looking to support the EnvisaLink seems entirely contrary to any chance of success. Honeywell had to create their Amazon connection. Same for Lutron, Nest, Ecobee, LiFX and a host of other home automation products.

#2 Wow, you're rude on so many levels..... I just want to be as professional as you with your reply.

You could have easily said, "That's not realistic as the product actually doesn't have the necessary hardware for this." Or something along those lines.

The second part I'm glad to have now been informed about the limitations. Being ridiculed for it was entirely unnecessary. You could have taken a moment to be nice about this with a new customer. Instead you've now created someone who will be sure to tell anyone else they encounter online that the people behind this product are incredibly rude. Thanks for very little. I will consider myself on my own from this point forward.
GrandWizard

Post by GrandWizard »

Sorry if offense was taken, I was just trying to be funny. I guess it didn't work.

1) We don't make any intefaces to other systems, they are all created by the host company. That is the truth.

2) There are not enough resources on the Envisalink to do what you are suggesting and auto-dialers have been illegal in most juristications since the 1980s
Agrajag

Post by Agrajag »

Text posts and the lack of conveyable emotion and body language claims another victim. hehe

Don't sweat it. Sorry for going off on you for it. My exuberance is simply a by-product of my infatuation with the product in the early stages. It solves a problem so obviously I dreamed of it solving world strife and hunger. heheh