monitoring in combination with gsm or pots

Information and support for EnvisaLink modules.

Moderators: EyezOnRich, GrandWizard

metamatt

monitoring in combination with gsm or pots

Post by metamatt »

I'm curious about the central-station monitoring plan. $9/month is very competitive (I've seen other services that will monitor POTS for $9/month, but internet or GSM monitoring is usually quite a bit higher), but I'm concerned about the reliability of my cable ISP.

I don't have a phone line, so it seems to me the GSM communicators would offer me the most reliable link, and I bought one of those.

I see posts here saying the EnvisaLink modules can be used at the same time as DSC's own communicators, but that doesn't quite answer the question on my mind, which is: is your optional monitoring service internet-only, or do they have an option to do combined GSM/internet monitoring?
veeman5

Re: monitoring in combination with gsm or pots

Post by veeman5 »

I'm interested in this as well (Internet & POTS).
hypnosis4u2nv

Re: monitoring in combination with gsm or pots

Post by hypnosis4u2nv »

Personally, I think GSM offers the best monitoring because of how difficult it would be to circumvent (cut the connection) before it transmits an alarm to the monitoring company.. While it's not burglar proof by any means, the burglar would have to get close enough with a GSM jamming device to immobilize it which would require they know it's location to begin with.. And if there is a power interruption, my unit runs off the panels backup battery as well as a UPS..

I think it's in everyone's best interest to see how accessible the cable/FiOS/phone lines are when coming into your home and try to make them as difficult as possible for someone to cut in the event they want to burglarize your home.. I would also run a UPS or backup battery for the router and/or switches which supply the internet connection for your 2DS..