envisalink 2ds -- new user questions

Information and support for EnvisaLink modules.

Moderators: EyezOnRich, GrandWizard

metamatt

envisalink 2ds -- new user questions

Post by metamatt »

Hi. I'm installing a DSC security system and on a recommendation from some posts in the micasaverde forums, bought an Envisalink 2DS to go with it.

I'm trying to set everything up now and have a couple questions:

- firmware upgrades: my 2DS is still on 1.04.40. I've had it plugged into the network but not activated for a couple days. A few hours ago I activated it. Do firmware upgrades happen automatically, only after it's activated, only after it's activated and idle for a few hours, ...? Is there some way I can poke it? (I am interested in the local API aki TPI, and so was really happy to see the 1.06.57 firmware announcement.)

- programming via 2DS: I see an old post (http://forum.eyez-on.com/FORUM/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5) saying the successor to the IP100D (which I suppose was the 170D == 2DS) would do it, a newer post (http://forum.eyez-on.com/FORUM/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=212) saying it's technically possible but not implemented yet, and an even newer post (http://forum.eyez-on.com/FORUM/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=240) saying it's not possible. Well, mark me down as one more person that would be happy to see this become reality. I can live without this since I bought a usb->serial adapter and the serial cable, but ability to use the DLS software over the network instead of hauling a computer within serial cable range of the panel would be nice.

- camera features: the web UI and smartphone UI have a section for cameras; where can I find information on features/compatibility/setup? I do have some networked cameras that would be cool to add here if they work together.

Thanks for any info you can give me.
GrandWizard

Re: envisalink 2ds -- new user questions

Post by GrandWizard »

Hi, Welcome to the forum.

- Firmware upgrades are only available to activated users (for a variety of reasons) and generally a new unit is up to the latest version within 20 minutes of activation. If you activated in the last 10 hours you may have not been upgraded as we had server maintenance last night and the firmware update daemons didn't spin up properly. That was just fixed in the last hour.

- DLS over the network is technically possible (from a hardware point of view) but is not yet implemented. You will notice that there is a connector on the '2DS that looks remarkably like a PC-LINK connector. It remains on the "to-do" list but unfortunately I don't know when it will be done.

- Cameras are only loosely coupled with the Eyez-On portal. This means we pretty much support any IP camera with an embedded webserver in it. The Eyez-On portal (mobile and normal) just provides an easy point-of-entry for these cameras along with dynamic DNS to track the changing IP address of your residence.
metamatt

Post by metamatt »

Thanks for the reply

- yup, the 2ds unit upgraded itself overnight. Probably right after the update daemons restarted.

- OK, I won't hold my breath for the DLS-over-the-network feature but it would be a nice additional value.

- cameras: ok, if I understand you correctly, if I add the camera to the Eyez-On portal, it gives me a convenient link that doesn't depend on DNS, but you don't tunnel the traffic, so I'm still on my own to deal with port forwarding if I want it to work from outside my house?
GrandWizard

Post by GrandWizard »

Re: Cameras

You got it.