propagation delays / response time

Information and support for EnvisaLink modules.

Moderators: EyezOnRich, GrandWizard

metamatt

propagation delays / response time

Post by metamatt »

I've been playing with the 2DS and the mobile web interface (smartphone link) and it seems really slow to respond from the cloud.

Scenario 1: I open a zone, then load the cloud UI via the smartphone link, or hit refresh if it's already open. My DSC keypads react right away, and the local web UI (http://envisalink/) reacts right away, but the cloud UI takes upwards of 30 seconds to react. Sometimes I don't see it change status at all, and even hours later it doesn't report that the zone changed status at that time in the past.

Scenario 2: (Standing in my house next to a keypad) I use the smartphone browser to arm the system. Then I stand there and wait. It took about 30 seconds before the system reacted, as shown by the keypad -- during this time the smartphone browser showed "command in progress". When I say "the system reacted", it started the exit countdown (2 minutes). I waited over a minute, and the cloud UI never showed anything about "waiting to exit" -- it just said "armed".

Scenario 3: I signed up for SMS notification for various events including line-cut monitoring. Then I disconnected the 2DS from my network for about 20 minutes while I redid some network cabling, and reconnected it. I got the "network supervision fault" SMS almost immediately when I disconnected the cable, but I only got the "network supervision restore" SMS about 75 minutes after I reconnected the cable.

Are these delays typical?

I realize the SMS propagation delay could be basically anywhere in the internet or cell network (though in my experience messages sent by the @messaging.sprintpcs.com mechanism go through pretty fast). But the first 2 scenarios are much more under your control, and when I'm looking at the cloud UI I'd like to know that the information there is up to date.
GrandWizard

Re: propagation delays / response time

Post by GrandWizard »

Hi, status and commands are sent in semi-realtime and can have a latency of up to 30 seconds. Events (alarms, openings etc.) are sent immediately. If you would like realtime control in your home you should use the local webserver, that is truly realtime. This should explain your 1 and 2.

Network supervisory alerts are issued after 10 minutes of lack of connectivity with the Eyez-On alerting servers. Restorals are issued a soon as the Envisalink restores communications.