Change wording for closing and opening

Information and support for EnvisaLink modules.

Moderators: EyezOnRich, GrandWizard

gnolivos

Re: Change wording for closing and opening

Post by gnolivos »

Does Eyezon monitor these forums? Do these requests ever make it to their to do list?
tampamike

Post by tampamike »

I agree that the wording should be changed to ARM and DISARM. Please make that change.
Flyct

Post by Flyct »

Why are industry standard reporting zone status for doors and windows of "Faults" and "ready" but reported as easily understood "open" and "closed" yet alarm status reports of "open" and "closed" not repotted as easily understood "armed and "disarmed".
GrandWizard

Post by GrandWizard »

That's not universally true. DSC uses the term "faulted" to mean that a zone is shorted with double-end-of-line resistors. This is an abnormal situation similar to a trouble.

I checked both pertinent SIA standards and as far as I can see, neither refer to the state of a zone except when an alarm occurs. In that case the zone state is referred to as "In Alarm" or "Restored" when the system is "Secured".

DSC uses the term "Open" when referencing zone states when the system is "Ready". Ademco uses the term "Fault", again when the system is "Ready".

Because 80% of our customers use DSC systems we tend to favour DSC verbiage so I think that is where "Open" came from when you look at zone status. Partition status verbiage varies between the two panel types even more.
NonTech

Post by NonTech »

So GrandWizard, given that the general consensus of your ardent Supporters/Users is that the term Arm/Disarm be used, are you going to make the change as requested? Should be a very simple thing to doing Serverside...Yes? Opening/Closing is confusing at best!
GrandWizard wrote:That's not universally true. DSC uses the term "faulted" to mean that a zone is shorted with double-end-of-line resistors. This is an abnormal situation similar to a trouble.

I checked both pertinent SIA standards and as far as I can see, neither refer to the state of a zone except when an alarm occurs. In that case the zone state is referred to as "In Alarm" or "Restored" when the system is "Secured".

DSC uses the term "Open" when referencing zone states when the system is "Ready". Ademco uses the term "Fault", again when the system is "Ready".

Because 80% of our customers use DSC systems we tend to favour DSC verbiage so I think that is where "Open" came from when you look at zone status. Partition status verbiage varies between the two panel types even more.
GrandWizard

Post by GrandWizard »

NonTech wrote:So GrandWizard, given that the general consensus of your ardent Supporters/Users is that the term Arm/Disarm be used, are you going to make the change as requested? Should be a very simple thing to doing Serverside...Yes? Opening/Closing is confusing at best!
I'm sorry nontech but this is A) not even near my decision level and B) goes against our policy of bringing professional grade service to the DIY market.

Both Ademco and DSC call these reports, "Opening and Closing Reports".

SIA Communication stardard (DC-03)calls these "OP - Openings" and "CL - Closings".

CID (DC-05) calls these OPEN/CLOSE reports or sometimes just "O/C".

Specifically, we follow the DSC event wording, verbatim. If you pull your event log (*6) on your keypad you will see "CLOSING BY USER 12" or "OPENING BY USER 12".

A change like what is proposed would surely generate more confusion for the nearly 100,000 existing systems we have world-wide.

With the utmost respect to all who posted on this thread, I doubt this is going to change.
Flyct

Post by Flyct »

How about a compromise that should not cause confusion to 100,000 users. Perhaps adding /Armed and /Disarmed to the Closing Opening text. That is how Alarmdealer.com shows in their event logs when armed in AWAY mode.
Opening/Disarmed
Closing/Armed

---------------
My Event logs from Alarmdealer.com and Eyexon for same events:

When armed in AWAY mode
Alarmdealer.com logged:
2015-01-28 20:42:14 Main House (Open) Opening/Disarmed JR
2015-01-28 20:02:14 Main House (Close) Closed/Armed JR
Eyezon logged:
2015-01-28 20:42:08 - Opening By User JR- Partition 1
2015-01-28 20:02:07 - Closing By User JR- Partition 1

When armed in STAY mode
Alarmdealer.com logged
2015-01-24 16:54:44 Main House (Open) System Disarmed JR
2015-01-24 14:29:23 Main House (Close) System Armed Stay JR
Eyezon logged:
2015-01-24 16:54:41 - Opening By User JR- Partition 1
2015-01-24 14:29:19 - Closing By User JR- Partition 1
GrandWizard

Post by GrandWizard »

OK, I'll pitch it to Envisacor. Seems fair to me.