Changing the HTTP port!

Information and support for EnvisaLink modules.

Moderators: EyezOnRich, GrandWizard

DareDevil

Re: Changing the HTTP port!

Post by DareDevil »

kevin wrote:
stevew wrote:I can't think of why on a busy network - one would need to do that and access the 2DS from the WAN side.
I had a problem with my 2DS rebooting repeatedly. I did about 2 weeks of troubleshooting directly with Envisacor, and went through several firmwares. In the end the only possibility left was that there was too much broadcast traffic on my network that was overwhelming the 2DS, and the solution was to put a router between the 2DS and the rest of the LAN. I got an old router and put it in and bingo, problem solved. I have set up this "internal" router so I can access it from the LAN side to admin it, and have a port forward set up in it so I can access the 2DS from the 2nd router's WAN side.

In larger networks it's common to use routers to separate departments, areas, whatever, for traffic reasons, or security. My network isn't like that but I have enough broadcast traffic to need to add the router to limit the traffic reaching the 2DS. In other larger busier networks, routers have solved problems with too much broadcast traffic to the 2DS.

It's not standard network traffic we're talking about. Standard traffic would show up at the 2DS if the network were built with hubs, but in my LAN it's all switches, so only traffic destined for the 2DS, and broadcast traffic, will reach the 2DS. I didn't investigate why there was a lot of broadcast traffic on my LAN but the router blocks the broadcast traffic. Because my switches don't support port mirroring I wasn't even able to packet sniff the 2DS traffic without finding an old hub and adding it to the network temporarily.

Not standard network traffic? You make me wonder what could cause your problem. But a proper level 3 switch vlan would certainly fix this.
stevew

Post by stevew »

That's exactly what I said - LOL
www.autoland.ca
"Never argue with ignorance; they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience..."
gmanvbva

Post by gmanvbva »

It seems that by stating "not standard network traffic", he is referring to broadcast traffic.

It used to be more common (but still rare) in older networks and NIC's for them to be impacted by large amounts of broadcast traffic.

My guess would be that the 2DS uses a somewhat limited/older network chipset (NIC) AND he has a large amount of broadcast traffic.

Although I might be concerned if he had this level of broadcast traffic on a home LAN. It may indicate something is running a muck on his home network (virius?).

He could simply put a laptop loaded with wireshark on the same network segment and possibly identify some of sources of the broadcast traffic.
stevew

Post by stevew »

Apparently, this issue was just addressed in a firmware update on the 2DS a few days ago.
www.autoland.ca
"Never argue with ignorance; they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience..."
kevin

Post by kevin »

gmanvbva wrote:It seems that by stating "not standard network traffic", he is referring to broadcast traffic.
Well, I meant "not unicast."
gmanvbva wrote:Although I might be concerned if he had this level of broadcast traffic on a home LAN. It may indicate something is running a muck on his home network (virius?).

He could simply put a laptop loaded with wireshark on the same network segment and possibly identify some of sources of the broadcast traffic.
I did do exactly that (after adding an old hub so I could see the traffic on the 2DS segment) and didn't see anything that seemed excessive (on a gigabit LAN), but then the 2DS is running at 10 Mbps. I do have a lot of A/V stuff, Apple TV etc., a Drobo (this might broadcast stuff, I have never looked into it), and a Sonos network, but the Sonos stuff is on its own mesh. The release notes for the 2DS firmware suggest that A/V stuff may create more broadcast traffic.