TL-150 vs IP100D ?

Information and support for EnvisaLink modules.

Moderators: EyezOnRich, GrandWizard

arshir

TL-150 vs IP100D ?

Post by arshir »

I purchased the DSC TL-150 module some time ago, and only now discovered that there is the IP100D module. It looks like it has more functions than the TL-150.

I'm wondering if TL-150 can be used with the ESP portal ? Or does it have different firmware ?

If it has different firmware, could it be upgraded to the IP100D firmware ?

I'd even pay a few bucks for the upgrade and/or portal access.

Alternatively, which IP100D features can be used offline, without the ESP portal ? I'm not sure I want to let my security system talk to (and trust) a third-party at this point.
GrandWizard

Re: TL-150 vs IP100D ?

Post by GrandWizard »

This question comes up quite a bit.

Although there are obvious similarities, the IP100D and the TL-150 are separate and distinct products. The TL-150 is sold by DSC as an IP alarm communicator in it's line of "TL" products, and the IP100D is more of a full featured TCP/IP interface for self monitoring and home automation/control. The later being sold by its developer, Envisacor, and supported by us at Eyez-on through the ESP.

If you want professional monitoring then you should use a TL-150. If you want self-monitoring and expanded control (verbose arming, zone status, instant SMS alerts, HVAC control etc.) then you should go with the IP100D. Unfortunately there is no way to turn your TL-150 into an IP100D.

Both modules can co-exist on the same system to give you the best of both worlds by the way.

Finally, the off-line features of the IP100D are pretty much the same as the TL-150. This isn't going to change in the future as the goal is to keep the hardware as cheap as possible while adding features (almost daily) on the server side. Rest assured that all communications between the IP100D and the Eyez-On ESP are 128 bit AES encrypted. Always.

I hope this helps.

M.
Ruprik

Post by Ruprik »

GrandWizard wrote: If you want professional monitoring then you should use a TL-150. If you want self-monitoring and expanded control (verbose arming, zone status, instant SMS alerts, HVAC control etc.) then you should go with the IP100D. Unfortunately there is no way to turn your TL-150 into an IP100D.
If I get a IP100D can I do everything that I can do with a TL-150? I realize that I wouldn't get the back-end web/server features if I bought a TL-150 but I'd like the option to revert to professional monitoring if the self-monitoring thing proves to be too much of a hassle, I sell my house to an 98-year-old lady, etc...

Also, is the IP100D communications protocol in the public domain? I.e., if I wanted to set up my own "monitoring" service on my PC that would function somewhat like your server (although with very few of your features) could I do so like some have done with the TL-150?

Thanks in advance!
Ruprik
GrandWizard

Post by GrandWizard »

The local web pages on the two products are nearly identical, I think you get to control PGMs on the IP100D and not the TL-150, that's the only difference. If this is all you are interested in then you can use either module in your application.

There is no open protocol to the IP100D right now but it is on the feature request list, and something will we offer in the future. As for other people who have created services to access their TL-150s remotely, all they are doing is "scraping" the local web page and reformatting it within an application. If you have some programming experience I'm sure you could put together something similar.

Only the IP100D, through the Eyez-On portal, offers true automated monitoring with real-time alerts of alarms and other events (>1000 unique events)

Thanks for your question.