EVL-3 causing DSC PC1864 and keypad reboots

Information and support for EnvisaLink modules.

Moderators: EyezOnRich, GrandWizard

ndoggac

EVL-3 causing DSC PC1864 and keypad reboots

Post by ndoggac »

With the EVL-3 completely disconnected, my DSC PC1864 runs fine along with 3 keypads (1 RFK5564 and 2 PK5501). I also have the IT100 and 1 zone expander (PC5108).

Once I connect the EVL-3, the system randomly reboots about every 5-10 minutes. Using my voltmeter, monitoring the keypad bus voltage, the bus voltage drops to nearly 10v from the normal 13.6 volts and this is when the keypads reboot. This does not occur when the EVL is not connected.

On another forum, someone mentioned the EVL-3 might be "stuck in programming" mode. I was under assumption that no DSC programming was required, but do I need to do something in section 803 under the installer's menu on the DSC? Or can this issue be fixed in the EVL web interface?
Or is this a hardware issue with the EVL?

Also put in a trouble ticket with eyezon, but haven't heard back yet. Thanks in advance for any help.
DaveSin

Re: EVL-3 causing DSC PC1864 and keypad reboots

Post by DaveSin »

Can you do a test with both PK5501 disconnected and the EVL-3 connected? Does the DSC PC1864 still reboots?
ndoggac

Post by ndoggac »

The problem continues with both PK5501's disconnected and only the RFK5564, PC5108, IT100 and EVL-3 connected.

What does this mean? Bad hardware in the EVL-3?
ndoggac

Post by ndoggac »

Reboots/Voltage drops occur every 4 minutes 15 seconds, to the second (255 seconds). Is this a buffer over-run problem in the code, or a timed event perhaps in the EVL-3?

Also disconnected the IT100, reboots still occur. This is getting very frustrating!
ndoggac

Post by ndoggac »

I'm RMA'ing this EVL-3 today. I think I got some bad hardware, hopefully the next one will work OK.
GrandWizard

Post by GrandWizard »

Do you have a trouble LED on your keypad? The Envisalink queries the panel every 4 minutes and 10 seconds (250 seconds) to ask for trouble status. This usually happens so fast nobody notices put it will cause the LEDs on your keypad to "flicker" during the query.

Does this ring a bell?
ndoggac

Post by ndoggac »

Finally got this figured out with eyez-on support. In the installers section on DSC panels, section 022, option 1 cannot be enabled. This option requires a user access code to access user functions like bypassing zones, etc.

This should definitely be a sticky, since all the documentation claims "no programming required" for DSC systems. Support did say a firmware fix should be coming for this issue.

Thank you eyez-on support. Only a few headaches on this one. :-)
GrandWizard

Post by GrandWizard »

Ah right! DSC added that option in V4.5.

That option is off be default so you would have had to enabled this at some point. We say no programming required but there are a few options that cannot be used (all are off by default). Take Keypad Blanking for example, this has to be off for the Envisalink to work. You also can't bypass zones with code enabled for the same reason.

I will let engineering know about this, or maybe they already do.
ndoggac

Post by ndoggac »

Is this list published somewhere in the forum? Sticky perhaps?

It would be nice to know which options cannot be enabled, even if they are off by default.
GrandWizard

Post by GrandWizard »

Keypad blanking and Zone Bypassing requiring code is all I can think of. Now add the *2 requiring code.

It never comes up really at tech support. Maybe 1 keypad blanking issue in the last year, that's it.