FYI: Using Envisalink 3 w/ Mifi device

Information and support for EnvisaLink modules.

Moderators: EyezOnRich, GrandWizard

fisher112

FYI: Using Envisalink 3 w/ Mifi device

Post by fisher112 »

This is just an FYI for any users that may want to use the Envisalink device in an application where no cable, DSL, or other internet access is available (houseboat, cabin, motorhome, etc.). I am using an AT&T Unite Pro mifi device for internet access, and have had no issues connecting to the Envisalink 3 device using a Netgear WNCE 2001 ethernet bridge to allow for required hardwire connection from the Envisalink 3, while picking up the wifi from the Unite device. To prevent loss of connection, the Unite router wireless standard settings must be changed to b/g from b/g/n, which is the default. Let me know if there are questions, hope this help for any future searchers looking for evidence of success using this connection type.
GrandWizard

Re: FYI: Using Envisalink 3 w/ Mifi device

Post by GrandWizard »

Thanks for the info!
Tambourineman

Post by Tambourineman »

My system with an envisalink3 was delivered yesterday as was my FreedomPop MiFi. I was planning to connect the envisalink to my Comcast cable connection and my DSC 1864 panel's phone output to a DL 125c auto dialer conencted to a Dock N Talk which would Bluetooth link to a since replaced Sprint EVO which I would register with FreedomPop as a BYOD (to replace the MIFI).

FYI: FreedomPop offers free WiMax 3G or 4G connection if usage is kept under 500MB a month, plus a paid one for higher usage. It uses the old Sprint/ClearWire which is available in many metropolitan areas.

I want this cellular backup in case thieves cut my Comcast cable.

Ideally I would like the envisalink3 to have connections with both my wired internet and the MiFI but be use the internet wired connection (as it has basically unlimited data) unless it went down and then to be able to automatically switch to the MiFi. This way instead of just getting a pre-recorded voice or SMS from the DL-125c, I could access my system as long as I had power or the battery lasted.

But I haven't been able to find/think of a way to get this setup to automatically switch from the wired to the wireless connection. I have my G3 smartphone remember both my Comcast connected wireless router and to my FreedomPop MiFI wireless and it will automatically switch between them if I power one or the other off. So I am going to use the second best solution which is to have simultaneous signals sent - a smart two way one with the envisalink and a one way alarm only thru the MiFi.

I have Asus RT-AC66U and RT-N66U routers and my desktops run windows 7 (although I could easily upgrade to Windows 8.1).

Anyone know how to setup an automatic switch between two wireless connections?
mikep

Post by mikep »

I confess I don't understand all of the devices and options you mention, but if you want a device to switch from one wifi to another if the first drops, you could give both wifis the same SSID and credentials. Some clients will switch automatically to the backup if you configure both sets of credentials.

I assume the mifi has a built in firewall?

Another option would be to use an android phone as a proxy in front of your envisalink, it could send an SMS if there's an alarm after you lose the internet (or power, you didn't mention that so I assume you have battery backup for everything).

Mike
DscServer for android/linux/windows: https://sites.google.com/site/mppsuite/dscserver
Tambourineman

Post by Tambourineman »

I may not need to switch between the FreedomPop MiFi and my Comcast cable after all. For FreedomPop to be free the usage has to be under 500MB. By only using FreedomPop if the wired internet was down I was trying to keep the FreedomPop MiFi connection under that 500MB. I found a thread here which says the Envisalink's daily bandwidth is only 20kb/hour or about 20Mb/month so unless I add cameras I should be Ok with respect to usage level. What may be an issue is if the Envisalink server simul6taneously gets the same data but from two different sources (that is, both the MiFi and the Comcast).

I have only logged on to the internet with my MiFi once to see if it worked. The manual for it seems to indicate it is similar to just about any other router. The only question is whether FreedomPop has locked down the admin password. I don't have the answer to that yet as I have not tried to logon to it yet.

As for the client switching between two wireless connections, the client would be the Envisalink. I have only found a one page manual/guide for that. I think more info is available online once its connected but I have not setup my system yet. I doubt the Envisalink would switch.
mikep

Post by mikep »

My apologies, I won't be any help - I'm a bit lost about how you're hooking things up. I was expecting the wifi client to be what you've plugged the envisalink into - probably your router - and you wanted it to switch from comcast to use the mifi if there was a network outage.

Since you have the EVO already you might consider one of the android apps for the envisalink, with the EVO switching from wifi/mifi and the envisalink talking to eyezon through the wired connection.

Mike
DscServer for android/linux/windows: https://sites.google.com/site/mppsuite/dscserver
Tambourineman

Post by Tambourineman »

We're both lost. I don't know how I am hooking it up. My initial plan was to wire the EVL3 to my Comcast cable and have a dumb one way voice message dialing alarm only notification from the 1864 using a cellular connection. I switched from a GSM type cellular connection as I thought I could get a no contract, prepaid, pay as you go SIM with a small amount of minutes that would not be used up for many months but I didn't find a plan like that so I decided to explore FreedomPop.

The EVL3 to cellular connection is looking better so I am re-evaluating what I want to do.

I originally got the EVL3 because I could not see a way to get two way intelligent communication between my smartphone/remote internet connected laptop because the 1864 seems to depend on being able to interpret/send Connect ID or SIA codes and I could not find a DIY program or device that does that. Only commercial central stations seem to have the capability.

Since my system is not setup I do yet have a good understanding of how things do or can work. I guess I need an SMS gateway for the EVL3 so rather than using the MiFi I may have to use my old EVO as there are Android SMS gateway apps. (FreedomPop allows certain BYOD. The EVO is one of the ones they allow and mine just gathers dust unless there is a problem with my G3.)

I don't know if the SMS gateway requirement is on the sending end of the connection or the receiving end. What I want is for the SMS or email to ring a unique ringtone so as to distinguish it from routine messages. I know I can do that with an email but I am not sure about SMS messages yet. I get enough of them that I do not want to have to immediately check it it's an alarm versus Amazon telling me a package was delivered. I guess SMS is better as sometime email delivery can be delayed for many hours.
mikep

Post by mikep »

It can get complicated :). I think you're looking for backup to the eyezon service if the internet is lost. One way would be to monitor the envisalink TPI, then send SMS messages from your EVO to your personal phone. Use a pay-as-you account to keep costs down and set up your personal phone with a different ringtone for messages from that number.
Tambourineman

Post by Tambourineman »

The envisalink line cutting supervision feature is great, but I was looking for more than just a simple notification that the connection was lost because it could be lost because Comcast is having a hiccup, or my modem, or my router, or I could have lost power.

I have not done exhaustive research on no contract, prepaid, pay as you go GSM plans. I guess T-Mobile has one for $100 that is good for a year, but others seem to need to be refreshed with $'s every month or 90 days. At that cost level I might as well just add a line to my ATT or my Sprint account since with a corporate discount the cost is just slightly more and there is less possibility of forgetting to refresh the account.

i was trying to figure out how to structure this before I set everything up, but I may have to wait until I actually get my EVL3 working and have a TPI account so I know how this actually works.
mikep

Post by mikep »

I use T-Mobile's $10 every 90 days pay-as-you-go option, and generally use less than $5 in that period even when I'm testing (since I only ever send SMS's and never use talk minutes).

The TPI is the envisalink card's local API you get at inside your network via TCP: http://forum.eyez-on.com/FORUM/viewtopi ... 28649010da. There's a few apps on google play for android that use the local TPI including 2 that I've published, one of which is similar to what you're thinking of doing. Plus the RYO option is a good one as the API is fully open.

Yeah, I do find it much easier to navigate the options when I have the devices in hand too :).

Mike