Monitoring

Information and support for EnvisaLink modules.

Moderators: EyezOnRich, GrandWizard

JAlexander

Monitoring

Post by JAlexander »

It there any update on the alarm monitoring?
GrandWizard

Re: Monitoring

Post by GrandWizard »

While it is technically possible to offer professional monitoring through the Envisalerts service, we've been unable to secure a large enough monitoring partner who would accept DIY customers. I realize this isn't what people want to hear but it is a reality of the security industry.

So for IP100D customers right now we're recommending installing a TL-150 from DSC as both modules can exist on the same system. Then you can select the monitoring company of your choice as most companies now offer IP monitoring.
strangely

Post by strangely »

Is it not possible to update the 170D to emulate a lot of what the TL-150 also does to communicate with the monitoring services?
Bill D

Post by Bill D »

I'll second the motion for you to update the IP170D (excuse me, I mean the "2DS") to include a reporting protocol for central station monitoring.

Emulating the TL-150 protocol would allow any monitoring company that works with a TL-150 to work with a 2DS but that may not be possible if the protocol is DSC-proprietary for DSC's own central station gear.

However, like everything else, the move to open standards seems to be happening in the alarm industry. A quick search revealed an industry-standard (SIA) protocol called DC-09. Picking a widely-supported open protocol seems like the way to go and it would greatly enhance the value of the 2DS.
GrandWizard

Post by GrandWizard »

If you guys can show us a monitoring company that supports DC-09 then we'll invest the effort to support it. But so far, we haven't had any luck.
Bill D

Post by Bill D »

GrandWizard wrote:If you guys can show us a monitoring company that supports DC-09 then we'll invest the effort to support it. But so far, we haven't had any luck.
I emailed Alarm Relay http://www.alarmrelay.com/ and asked. They responded that they didn't know what DC-09 was but said that they supported the "Contact ID" format for IP reporting. I'm not sure what that means, but I saw on Wikipedia that the DC-09 protocol encompasses "Contact ID".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burglar_alarm

Bill
GrandWizard

Post by GrandWizard »

Contact ID is a signaling format on over telephone lines. Very "old school' but is probably the most widely supported. Unfortunately we need an IP format like the SIA DC-09. As far as I know, the DSC networking protocol is still proprietary.

As I said. We're open to suggestions.
Bill D

Post by Bill D »

GrandWizard,

Alarm Relay replied again and it seems they may be able to somehow accommodate SIA DC-09. I'll send you a PM with the person's name and email address that replied to me.

Maybe you can work something out with them (with DC-09 or another protocol) so your users won't need to install a TL-150 alongside their 2DS (currently, $8.95/month is Alarm Relay's fee to monitor a TL-150).
geneg

Post by geneg »

Add me to the list of people who would love to see this happen. This is such a great product but it would be even better if it could be monitored.
Bill D

Post by Bill D »

Hey GrandWiz,

Any progress on this? I've been hoping I'd see a nice surprise post from you about monitoring, so I've not bought a TL-150 and I'm just coasting along with my POTS line, which I'd rather cancel (its only use is monitoring).

Bill