EYEZ-ON Cellular Security/Alarm Module

Information and support for EnvisaLink modules.

Moderators: EyezOnRich, GrandWizard

DaveSin

EYEZ-ON Cellular Security/Alarm Module

Post by DaveSin »

Some time ago, it was mentioned on this forum that Envisacor was in the process of developing a Cellular Module and it was "months" away from testing/availability. Has the Cellular Module development been abandoned? Can someone from Eyez-on give us an update as to the status of the development of the Cellular Module, GSM vs, CDMA, price point, etc.?
GrandWizard

Re: EYEZ-ON Cellular Security/Alarm Module

Post by GrandWizard »

Envisacor stopped development on the module as it was a 2G (GPRS) device and there was no point in proceeding based on the global sunsetting of the service. I do not know if development continued with a 3G solution.
Scamboogery

Post by Scamboogery »

I connected my Envisalink Internet Alert Module to a FreedomPop 4G Freedom Hub Burst. I have Comcast as my ISP for everything else.
DaveSin

Post by DaveSin »

Cost wise, how much does the FreedomPop 4G Freedom Hub Burst cost for the unit itself and the monthly cost for the FreedomPop 4G Service? Would it be cheaper to just add a Cellular unit to your panel for backup case of internet cable cut or interruption of Comcast Service? I see where you can get the Hub on eBay for as low as $35.00. Also, what has been your experience with FreedomPop 4G reliability? Seems to get a very poor rating on Amazon.

BTW, do you have the FreedomPop 4G Hub on any type of battery backup in case of power failure?
Scamboogery wrote:I connected my Envisalink Internet Alert Module to a FreedomPop 4G Freedom Hub Burst. I have Comcast as my ISP for everything else.
Scamboogery

Post by Scamboogery »

I purchased the 4G Hub (refurbished) directly from FreedomPop for $29.98. They give you 1G free data every month. I only have the Envisalink Internet Alert Module connected to one of the two Ethernet ports so my data usage will not go over 1G. I also turned off the WiFi on the unit for security. I live in a big city so I get a good signal. They have coverage maps.
I did the following to my account to avoid any charges. You'll need to manually monitor your usage so you go over a gig.
Cancel Premier trial: You might as well opt-out at sign-up, but if not go to My Account > Services and click on link for Premier under "My Services." On details page, which lists the features of the Premier service, look a tiny deactivation link ("To deactivate the FreedomPop Premier service, click here") at the bottom. Pay attention to what they ask, like clicking on "cancel" means you are cancelling the cancellation process. Ignore bright colors and read carefully.
Downgrade data plan: Go to My Account > Plans and click on link for your current plan in the "My Plan" section. On details page, look a tiny downgrade link ("To downgrade your plan, click here") at the bottom. Pay attention to what they ask, like clicking on "cancel" means you are cancelling the downgrade process. Ignore bright colors and read carefully.
Turn off Automatic Top-up: Go to Billing > Billing Settings. Click edit next to the "Automatic Top-up" section, uncheck the box, and save.
Other:Under My Account > Account Settings, there are some email settings that you probably want to adjust.
hokie21

Post by hokie21 »

Scamboogery wrote:I purchased the 4G Hub (refurbished) directly from FreedomPop for $29.98. They give you 1G free data every month. .
I looked at this and it appears at first to be an excellent solution. I even figured out that by using static routes with different metrics and a second router I could likely get automatic failover from IP to cellular to work. When I looked more closely at the Freedom Pop Burst, I found it was a Wimax device on the Clearwire system. Clearwire recently announced the decomissioning of that system in a year. I'm keeping an eye on Freedom POP to see if they introduce an LTE version of this device. An LTE version of ths device looks like it would make a great solution for inexpensive cellular backup for the EVL-3.